Thursday, July 21, 2011

Bonnie's Cheddar Challenge

With three large projects finished, (Orange Sherbert, Cotton Candy, and Celtic Cottage) I felt comfortable to enjoy the thrill of beginning a new project. What fun to join Bonnie's Cheddar Challenge from her Sister's, Oregon trip! If you missed her post, here is the link:  http://quiltville.blogspot.com/2011/07/sisters-sisters-2011-leaderender.html
Last Friday, when I was at Keepsake Quilting shop for their big Fat Quarter sale, I stumbled upon a brand new bolt of a delightful Civil War Cheddar. Mindful of the challenge and the fall swap of cheddars on my Nickelswap yahoo group, I bought three yards of it. It was full retail which damn near killed this penny-pinching yankee! Last night I got it prewashed by hand in Orvus in my bathroom sink and then out to the clothesline. I also cut out a few of the 1 1/2" tiny squares for the 2 1/2" squares that I already had ready.

This is from a collection known as "Railroad Ties" designed by Faye Burgos for Marcus Brothers. To me it looks like chicken tracks up close, but from any distance, you are hardly aware of the black figure on it.
So I sat down and in about 30 minutes, I had 10 cutie bow tie blocks pressed on the ironing board!


Those dark blocks in the upper row are a very deep indigo, not black!
I also discovered that it pays to pay attention! I goofed up on the sky blue block; see it here?

 I had to open up one wrong seam and resew it to make it right:
So I learned to not rush and lay out the four pieces to double-check their placement! But I had great fun! They all look so bright and happy-scrappy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...