Sunday, June 24, 2018

Baby Log Cabin Progress

Two or three cooler days really fired me up to do some quilting. I found a string of eight started log cabin blocks and decided to finish them up. The result was this little Sunshine and Shadows baby quilt that measures 36" by 62".


I prefer to make "baby" quilts without fabrics that are juvenile prints, using regular quilting fabrics and lots of Civil War reproductions. This makes a quilt that isn't dated or too baby-ish for when the child grows up.






After I spray basted the sandwiched layers on my bed, I let the quilt rest overnight and then began the quilting. I did free motion quilting using a darning or quilting foot with my machine set to zero stitch length to drop the feed dogs.





My simple loop-de-loops are a little herky-jerky but the overall effect is pleasing. You may click on any picture to enlarge it.





The cream colored borders will be bound with a chocolate brown floral which won't show the dirt if the edges get chewed or dragged around by a tot.

The binding is sewed on by machine already but I have only just begun to hand hem the edge.

Happy quilting!

2 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

you are way ahead of me in the machine quilting dept vic...excellent work!

Janet O. said...

Making the most of a few cooler days and leftover blocks produced a very nice baby quilt.
When Maggie was born, Angie wanted baby quilts like you described--and that is what she got. One was CW prints, and the other was bright batiks with block and white.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...