Sunday, February 7, 2016

Big Doings!

There were three big events in the past few days;

1. My 90 year old neighbor, Alfred's fall and bump on the head,

2. An evil little wet-snow storm of about 8",

3. And my having finished my "Stars In A Time Warp" queen sized quilt.


First, let me tell about the snowstorm and digging out.


While it was early in the storm on Friday morning, I  was missing out on my Friday bee, which was disappointing.

  
But it was not as bad as what this foolish driver endured after spinning out on the slushy roads and going into a ditch right across the street from my driveway.


Soon the State Police and the tow truck that they had called had cleared the scene. No one was hurt.


Then, when the snow stopped, Felix, my Husband Wonderful, began to plow us out.


The diabetic neuropathy in his feet make walking problematic for him, but if I shovel and sand a path, then he can use a ski pole to walk to the truck safely.

He is forever grateful to our neighbor, 84 year old, Ilse, for the gift of that ski pole!


You can see just how wet and slushy the under-layer of snow was. Ugh. I love fluffy light snow, but this was yucky and heavy to shovel.


Every shovelful would stick onto the face of the shovel and cling, necessitating tapping the tip of the shovel blade onto the ground to clear it. Very heavy work!


We were done by about sundown and were rewarded with a beautiful sunset!


On Saturday morning, Ilse called me to say that her 90 year old husband, Alfred, had fallen and had gotten a bump on his head. They had taken him to the local hospital. I offered to drive her in to see him there.
Although 84 year old Ilse drives, she was upset at the time, and she gratefully accepted my offer to chauffeur her. When we got there, Alfred was alert and lucid in spite of his minor dementia.  He cracked a lot of jokes, too! We were so relieved by that. He wanted to go home immediately, but they have kept him for more billable hours on his most excellent health insurance, er, I  mean, observation.

Just before Ilse's crisis call on Saturday, I had been very pleased to complete the last hand hemming stitches on my striped binding on my quilt.


This one was the 2015 year long sew along inspired by Barbara Brackman on her Civil War Quilts blog. She named it, "Stars In A Time Warp." See my blog button on the upper right for the link.

Today's sunny and mild temperatures were perfect for a photo shoot in the deer-tracked snow.


Those pesky rascals have eaten all my rhododendrons, eeeek! Oh well, no blooms this year in April.


When I quilted this, I just made loose free hand spirals on the rented longarm at Ellen Peters' Cat's Whiskers Studio in Laconia, New Hampshire. Thank you, Ellen, for all your help with this quilt!


The backing was a single piece of a Judie Rothermel print, a 108" wide backing from Marcus Brother's Textiles.


The batting was Warm & White from The Warm Company, and although this quilt, with these strong colors, could've used Warm & Natural,  I have the Warm & White on a roll to use up.


 Today, Ilse asked me to take her into Concord again, and I'm happy to do that for her. What makes me even happier is to view my melted off Southern-facing driveway.


It is wet and sandy but not icy, Yeay!!!

Miss Emma Lynne looking guilty at being on my bed. (Her former owner forbade this, but I allow it).
This post will be linked to So Scrappy, Link.

Linking also to Love Laugh Quilt.

Happy quilting and please say a quick prayer for Alfred & Ilse, thanks!




14 comments:

Barbara said...

Before shoveling wet snow, try spraying the shovel with silicone spray. The snow should slip right off. Of course, that means it also wants to slip off before you want it to if you aren't careful.

Love your civil war stars quilt.

I've been lurking here for a while; also belong to Stashbuster group. Please tell Nancy Gesen I said hello. I know her from the Jinny Beyer Hilton Head seminars we used to go to.

Barbara at Stash Overflow

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi! Your quilt is really beautiful! I'm happy that Emma is allowed to enjoy the comfy place on quilt. x Teje

Cathy said...

Oh my goodness! Your Stars in a Time Warp is gorgeous! Big time congrats to you!

Glad you kept the snow there.

gayle said...

Oh, it's flat-out gorgeous! That striped binding is just the perfect touch - I love it!
I'll be glad when winter is over, even though we haven't really had one this year. I'm usually ready for spring by the day after Thanksgiving...

Nann said...

Oh, I love that quilt. Beautiful scenery -- especially after the snowfall!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your quilt is amazing! The colors are so warm and inviting. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Janet O. said...

Heavy snow is no fun to shovel!
That is a lovely sunset. Can never get enough of those.
Your stars quilt turned out fabulous! Great job.
Will keep your neighbors in my prayers, for sure!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Praying for Ilse and Alfred! Your Stars in A Time Warp quilt is simply stunning, well done!! I loved your snow report and rejoice along with you in the subsequent melting~ once you're done with the primaries NH will be a fun state to live in once again.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Your Stars quilt is Gorgeous, You are a Queen. Where do you get these gorgeous backings? so pretty..
Kisses to Miss Emma..and the cat too, if you can catch her.
XXOO

Needled Mom said...

Your quilt is absolutely gorgeous.

The snow looks so pretty, but it is a nightmare for getting around. So glad your neighbor is doing okay.

Vesuviusmama said...

Beautiful! I'm doing Barbara B's Westering Women BOM this year. I love all the context she puts in her blog posts.

Elaine Adair said...

That quilt is a show stopper!!! Hope you can enter it in a quilt show. Goes to show how a "regular" block can turn into something absolutely gorgeous!!!

Snow? Yep, you got what didn't fall here! 8-)))

viridian said...

i did stars in a time warp too. your quilt looks wonderful, and is inspiring me to get going on mine!

beth s said...

Ooh! I love this quilt! What a beauty!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...