Wednesday, June 17, 2015

In The Pink

After learning that my very dear friend, Frances was in the hospital for a bout with the norovirus, I picked some field daisies and brought them to her. She was glad to see me but I did not stay long so as not to tax her strength.


My blue flags are already pretty much gone by but they were glorious and I love seeing their intense cobalt blue.


Barbara Brackman's discussion this week was a continuation of chintzes and a wonderful tracing of the history of the term "blotchy" and "blotch." I chose the closest that I had to a tea ground chintz and had a ball making the block! If you'd like to see more of Brackman's blog it is at Civil War Quilts.


The fabrics were just off the clothesline, does that mean that they were hanging around?? LOL!


The tea-ground chintz in the center of my block was a Windham by Nancy Gere from her First Ladies line.


No halos from poor registration and a little hint of purple tints and some golds in the flowers.

We had some fun for the Continental Breakfast at The Sunshine Club yesterday over at the Alton, New Hampshire Senior Center.


Sue, below right, was quilting a couple more rows on her green Leprechaun Quilt, while Bev, below left, was organizing her tee shirts for her grandson's graduation quilt for next year.


I had brought along my rows of Scrappy Jacob's Ladder blocks and was joining them up into a top.


I love my little Singer Featherweight that I named, "Scottie" because it was made in Scotland for the Canadian market so it is AC current. When I joined these Scrappy Jacob's Ladder blocks together, I chose the Sunshine & Shadows layout and I'm very pleased with the results!!!


Over the weekend, I had gotten the last of my Civil War Shirtings and Backgrounds swaps bagged and tagged.


It felt wonderful to get them all into the mail for Monday. It's a great feeling to be ahead of schedule!!


I'm still poking along on a few "Bonus Triangle" pinwheel blocks. It's a great little Leader/Ender project.


But my main focus on piecing is the quilt for Matthew in blues and creams. I may have to break down and start counting how many quadrant units I've made, LOL! I know I need a bazillion. These are from Kim Brackett's Scrap Basket Surprises book, which I absolutely love.


To end this post, I'll leave you with an image or two of the lupines that I planted on the scrubby, unmowable hillside in front of the farm.


It is my reminder to myself that just when you think that nothing will ever work out, something goes wonderfully right!


Look! Look! There is even a PINK one!


Stay calm and sew on!

Happy sewing!







5 comments:

gayle said...

I love lupines! I used to have them everywhere.
Your Jacob's Ladder is fabulous. That's a great setting for those happy scrappy blocks.
And I love your Civil War stars, as always.

Janet O. said...

Beautiful lupines. I tried growing them here, but some type of bug found them too irresistible.
Love your projects, Vic. That Scrappy Jacob's Ladder has me drooling on the keyboard.

straythreads said...

great blocks and Jacobs ladder looks wonderful.sigh lupins I planted some a couple years ago but they did not come back this year. we do not have the right soil or weather for them.
hugs

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I love your Jacob's Ladder. I made one in high school and it still remains one of my favorite blocks! Thanks for the lupine photos. So pretty.

cityquilter grace said...

ditto...beautiful Jacob's ladder and I love the little pinwheel blocks too....ahhh beautiful summer flowers abound!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...