Thursday, July 25, 2019

My Progress as a Widow

It has now been a week since my beloved Felix passed away so suddenly from a cardiac arrest. The first 24 hours were the very hardest because I was so  keyed up that I could not sleep at all. I just wandered aimlessly through the house. Now I am able to sleep a good sound 6 to 7 hours through the night. I wake and realize that he is gone and feel bereft.

People have been wonderful to me, calling, stopping by, and emailing me to send their heart warming condolences. Both of Felix's doctors, his GP and his cardiologist, have made a personal phone call to me to say how much they both enjoyed Felix as a patient and to express their sympathy. I was so grateful to them both.

Life goes on and I've been doing the needful; paying the regular  bills, collecting the mail from the mailbox, and going to the dump to take our trash. But it all seems so insignificant.

On Wednesday, yesterday, I went to breakfast with the gals at the Alton Senior Center at my quilting club. One of the gals, Sue, was wonderful by showing me all the necessary steps to balance the checkbook. That was a task that he did faithfully every month as soon as the bank statement came in to us. Afterwards, I went over to the bank and verified the results with their assistant manager who has volunteered to help me again next month.

There was a small error at the hospital the night that Felix died. The attending physician forgot to sign his death certificate. This resulted in a delay of Felix's cremation after he had donated his corneas. Now that mistake has been corrected and cremation can be scheduled. After his final remains are cremated, I will pick up his ashes in Boscawen and bring them home to sit on the mantle.

My wonderful friend and neighbor, Ilse, shared with me the name of the lady who cuts her grass for her. I contacted her and yesterday she did my lawn, front and back and it looks great. She loves to mow and I was so grateful for her help. She only charged me $30 and we have a big lawn so it is a real bargain and a blessing.

As I end this post of my progress, I am going to include a great couple of pictures of Felix. I have them propped up on a big pile of my stash of quilting fabrics in the living room, directly in front of my easy chair. I look at them and talk to Felix and pray for him to be at peace with God.

Thank you for listening.



12 comments:

Jean Etheridge said...

I always read your blog and enjoy hearing from you. I am so sorry for your loss. I cannot begin to imagine how difficult this is. Sending love from Alabama.

Andra Gayle said...

My heart goes out to you. My mother passed away on July 2nd. My father is trying to adjust but is so deeply sad. There has been so much to do for paperwork and to get my dad settled. I hope you have some loving helpers. My parents had been married 58 years. Hope you can rejoice in your happy memories.

Janet O. said...

I am so glad you are sharing your feelings and experiences with us as you adjust to life without your best friend. It sounds like you are surrounded by good people to help you deal with the grief and the tasks that now fall on your shoulders.
I keep you in my daily prayers.

Nann said...

Another friend lost a loved one recently. I told him that it's the quotidian things (=daily, mundane) like eating the leftovers, straightening the bedclothes, or in your case balancing the checkbook, that trigger fond memories while providing shape to the new normal. May God's peace be with you, dear Vic.

Elaine Adair said...

Thank you very much for printing your thoughts, meanderings, feelings, daily life now that it is so different and seemingly pointless. We gals kinda need to also know what will happen when/if we are left alone, so even in your grief, you are helping others. I appreciate you, and again, am so sorry for your loss. God bless your helpers and teachers.

julieQ said...

I am so sorry... Many hugs, and thinking of you.

Julierose said...

My sincere condolences--losing a loved one is dreadfully difficult. I hope that happy memories will warm your heart in the months to come...hugs and thoughts, Julierose

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Oh, Vic; I am so very sorry to learn of this tragic occurrence for you with the untimely passing of your husband. Please know that I will hold you in prayer for peace and strength going forward. Sending hugs to you at this very sad time.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

I am thankful that you have friends close by to comfort you in your grief. Felix has such a wonderful smile. Hugs and prayers!

Ruth said...

Perhaps you would like to read joscountryjunction.blogspot.com. Yesterday she posted about the difficulties she has been having with insurance, funeral payments, bank cards, investments, etc. She lost her husband in May/June this year, I believe. She wishes there were a checklist for the survivor...

barbara woods said...

praying for you sweetie

Sherrill said...

I know where you are as I've traveled that road. My hubby's been gone for nearly 7 years and I was only 58 when he left me. It's hard, it's terribly lonely and friends/family do all they can to help you through. But even after 7 years, I still miss him every single day. It will slowly get somewhat easier but not, I think, enough. Blessings and prayers to you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...