Monday, May 23, 2016

Getting Quilting On It

Monday came today with little aches in my muscles of my back and shoulders from quilting at Ellen Peters' studio in Laconia, New Hampshire.

Fortunately, the spa was open and I received immediate treatment from Mr. Felix's magic fingers. I probably smell like a koala bear's (eucalyptus) lunch, but I'm very happy!


Thank you, Ellen, seen below, for loading up the raffle quilt to benefit the Alton, New Hampshire Senior Center!


This heartstrings top came from the combined efforts of the gals who sew with The Sunshine Club that meets there on Tuesdays. Hey, that's tomorrow! I'm excited to bring it in to show it now that it's quilted!


The top was made of 48 blocks set 6 blocks by 8 blocks. Since each block was built upon a 10½" square foundation, made of one of my old worn-out but clean bedsheets, the top was 60" by 80" before the quilting.


I chose a bright red quilting thread  for on top with an ecru thread beneath on the underside of the quilt. My choice for batting was the Pellon's Quilter's Touch 100% silicone-ized polyester batting. It is very low loft and lightweight.


I like Quilter's Touch for donation quilts because it simulates the look of cotton for a fraction of the cost. It is true that it hasn't quite as much drapability as cotton, but it is acceptable.

The quilting was loop de loops the size of silver dollars. If you can remember occasionally getting real silver dollars at your local bank, then you're OLD, LOL! They were nothing like the cheesy Susan B. Anthony's.


After about an hour and a half of solid quilting and a couple of handfuls of York Peppermint Patties, Ellen was helping me to unload the quilt from the big machine.


Soon I was home and I spread out the quilt onto the freshly swept guestroom floor to get at the trimming off of the excess batting and backing.


The backing was two long pieces sewn together, they were odd lots of ecru & tan that seemed to go together for this project.


You may click upon any picture to enlarge it. This shows the quilting on two different areas of the backing fabrics.


And the other area.


Pain to my old knees on the kneeling pad not withstanding, soon the quilt was trimmed, hooray!


I picked out a generic red from my stash and prepared the binding and got it sewn onto the quilt the next day and I'm hand hemming now on it.


In Stashbusters they say that, "Done is better than perfect!"

This pretty little quilt has lots of compromises built into it, but I'm very pleased with it! Tomorrow I hope to involve more folks by getting some help with the hemming by hand.

Here's hoping that you can be pleased with your compromises!

Linking up to Love Laugh Quilt Link.
And linking to Oh Scrap! Link.
And Em's Scrapbag. Link.


Happy quilting!








9 comments:

gayle said...

You and your group did yourselves proud! What a beautiful quilt you all made together!

Kate said...

A great scrappy quilt. I keep seeing different patterns show up in those blocks. It has a lot of visual interest.

Janet O. said...

I really like this pattern for scrap quilts. In fact, I believe there is a partially made one deep in my UFO closet somewhere.
Nice job on the quilting. Hope your aches and pains subside quickly. : )

Quiltdivajulie said...

I love scrappy string quilts -- what a good finish!

Judy in Missouri said...

Amazing string quilt! They are sure fun and I love them all.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Woohoo! Good job! And I love the comment "smells like a Koala bear's lunch"! I'll have to use that next time I get out the "balm"!

Feathers in my Nest said...

That's a beautiful quilt Vic....and beautifully quilted.
Sometimes a nice hot bath will relax your muscles.

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Scrappy string quilts are my favorite. Beautiful finish! Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

em's scrapbag said...

Love your scrappy strings! Thanks for linking up.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...