Tuesday, September 27, 2016

First Frost!

As the weather has turned beautifully brisk, I have felt better and better and more energized. Last night we had our first frost! Today was the last Tuesday of the month, so I enjoyed my two bees on one day.

Bev and Sue were hard at work tuning up a new to us sewing machine at The Sunshine Club at the Alton, New Hampshire Senior Center.


As for me, I poked along on my binding for my Nurture quilt that has been neglected when I felt too ill with that coughing cold. I seem to be mostly over it now, and thanks for all the sympathetic comments from you all.


When I got down to The Evergreen Quilt Shop in Milton, New Hampshire, owner Camille, seen below, had show and tell to see. Look at this pretty miniature! Those flowers are actually small maroon buttons, cute! You may click on any picture to enlarge it.


Camille was also working on a table runner done in three parts. Here is the unfinished center section.


There are crescent shaped embroidered panels that will be attached to the shorter ends.


Sue was doing one of her very pretty applique pieces. Good job!!






Earlier in the week, on Sunday, I took a big UFO project in to Ellen Peters' Cat's Whiskers Studio to quilt it myself on the rented longarm quilting machine. Here is where we were just getting it loaded.


This is a floral 16 Patch with sashing stars that was a design of my own invention. It pre-dates my current obsession with Civil War reproduction fabrics, as you can see.


It is poppy orange, light yellow, and garden greens. Many of the fabrics are older Robyn Pandolf creations. If you look at the picture above, you can catch a glimpse of the backing on the upper roller. It is a Florentine scroll printed green flannel that I'd been saving just for this quilt.


In the spirit of happy summer flowers, I quilted it in my free hand hearts and loops in a pale green thread.


It is a big 85" square queen sized quilt with big green borders, so I've picked out a nice green binding fabric.


The photo above is true to the colors of the quilt, but the photo below is not and was taken without the flash to allow you to view the quilting pattern better.


It was an hour and a half to get it quilted and I was tired and happy to go home and get an iced coffee!


My big rosemary plant needed to be brought indoors due to a predicted frost. This is the plant that is blooming from a full summer of sun-drenched deck living, wheee! And that is nosy Mr. Tipper looking on and all curious as to what was happening.


Lastly, I wanted to mention that I sold quite a few tickets to the raffle quilt on Saturday out in front of the Iron Works Market, with permission from the owner. Tickets are 3 for $10, and 10 tickets for $20. Please let me know if you'd like to use Paypal to participate in the November 18th drawing.


Proceeds are to benefit the Senior Center, thank you!!

Linking up to Busy Hands. Link.








7 comments:

Nancy said...

It's great you're feeling better, Vic. I'm surprised to learn that you've already had a frost. For Ohio it would seem early but I guess you're a few states north of us. Great projects you and your friends are working on. I like your 16-patch and stars quilt (but, of course, it's not the fabrics and colors I've come to expect).
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Judy in Missouri said...

I'm glad you are feeling better. Your 16 patch is really pretty! Good idea on those sashing stars and your quilting is looking good.

cityquilter grace said...

wow that is a big UFO....great to get that finished...and FROST? yikes! still in 70s here tho...

gayle said...

So glad you're feeling better! And it's probably an indicator of how long I lived in Vermont, but my first thought on your frost announcement was "Wow! It really held off til late!" (I lived in the Northeast Kingdom, where first killer frost was in late August. Sometimes mid August...)
As usual, you and your friends have the most beautiful projects going on!

Feathers in my Nest said...

Hi Vic, Love those mini's she made...Glad your on the mend. Your quilt is Beautiful..Love the quilting you did.
Yes, email me for the drawing, I'll buy some tickets gladly.

Elaine Adair said...

Love the big quilt, glad you are feeling better, but NOT HAPPY about "first frost"! 8-))) Guess it's time. Happy continued quilting! Elaineadairpieces.blogspot.com

Janet O. said...

Glad you are getting some time in with friends again, Vic! I have been home sick all week, so I know what you went through.
I loved seeing Camille's smiling face again. She is such a nice woman. I loved her little shop and hoped to get there again before Angie moved--I know Angie hoped to as well, but we didn't make it. Next time you are there, please let her know how much her kindness meant to Angie and to me.
Another great job on the quilting!
I would be happy to get tickets for your quilt. I will be in touch. Heading out the door to a grandson's soccer game right now!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...