Saturday, August 17, 2019

Friday Quilters

Yesterday was the Friday Quilters at the Golden Gese Quilt Shop in Concord and I went in and had a fun day.



Maureen was still working on her Red White and Blue blocks and the stacks of them are growing!


She also brought in a loaf of her delicious home made bread for me, yum! I brought in a stick of butter and we all had some. It was so fresh and tasty! Thank you, Maureen!



Maureen also brought me two ears of sweet corn right from the farm where they grow it. I ate both last night and it was so good!

Do you know how to cook sweet corn in the microwave? First pull back all the corn shucks but do NOT remove them. Then carefully clean away all the silk from the exposed ear of corn. Next pull back the shucks into their original position, covering the ear completely. Microwave on high power for 2:30 minutes and give the ear a minute of standing time. Pull back the shucks again and put on the butter, salt and pepper and eat it!
This method spares you from needing to heat up the kitchen with a big pot of boiling water in the heat of summer. But you can only do one ear at a time so put the next one in as soon as you take out the first one. Enjoy!

Maureen's daughter is planning a trip to Paris, so Maureen has been busy making the most adorable luggage tags. Good job!



She did these all on her embroidery machine and they are all so creative!

As for me, I cut out and pinned a pair of matching Hot Dog Pillowcases. These are the fabrics and the complete instructions are on a tutorial on my blog on the right hand column.


Today is the 17th of August, making it one whole month since Felix died so suddenly of a cardiac arrest. I still can't believe it and I miss him so much! I talk to his picture every day. Thank you for all your prayers and words of encouragement as I take each day with my baby steps.


My Beloved Felix

Hug your loved ones. Tell them you love them. Treasure each moment.

Happy quilting to all!



5 comments:

Janet O. said...

I am glad you have fun gatherings with quilting friends to help you through this time of adjustment and grief.
That homemade bread looks yummy! Always a good thing to "break bread" together.
I haven't tried corn in the microwave, though I have heard about it from people who swear by the method.
Such cute luggage tags! The last time we flew I just made long "ribbons" of brightly colored batik fabric and tied it to our handles. Nothing anywhere as clever as these tags.
That is a beautiful paisley for the pillowcases. I do like that method of construction.

cityquilter grace said...

good to keep busy and keep moving forward...i cannot relate at all to your loss but wish you strength to continue on...

Elaine Adair said...

Baby steps are good - they help to keep one balanced. 8-))

I've done sweet corn like this - delicious!

Julierose said...

Great that you went out and joined in with your quilting buddies. Those luggage tags are so adorable--your friend does such nice work!!
It is so hard to be grieving and then try to move on at the same time...hugs and prayers Julierose

Nann said...

Thanks for the tip about microwaving corn! Glad you're back to the Friday group. I enjoyed meeting you -- and the others -- last year!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...