Monday, August 19, 2019

The High Costs Of Dying

The bill came in today for Felix's final trip to the local emergency room. I thanked God for our Medicare coverage because it was for over $4000. Fortunately, my share of that was less than $300 so I called the hospital's billing department as Felix had always taught me to do.

By paying the bill in full on a credit card, I was eligible for a 20% discount. That was a savings of almost $60 that I cannot afford to squander. I tremble to think of what the bill will be for from the town's ambulance because I do not think that Medicare covers any of that. My Dad used to tell me, "Victoria, don't scream before you're hit, " so we'll see.

The cremation costs were higher than I had expected also. It was $1300 for a bare bones, no pun intended, cremation of his body. If he had weighed over 350 pounds, they were going to charge me an extra $600, so I was glad that he weighed 325 pounds at his death. My loving sister and brother-in-law stepped in and paid for Felix's cremation. I am so blessed!

I still have not heard from the Social Security office to learn what to expect for an income  check in the future. I know that it will be adjusted by the minimum amount of my teacher's pension.

We do not dwell on the death of a loved one when they are alive, but rather, spend our days in a pleasant oblivion. It is hard to feel financially punished when  you are already grieving your loss. The costs of the death of a spouse are staggering, both emotionally and financially.

This picture is of Felix at the local nursery and feed store, Clark's Feed and Grain. It was on a Sunday in May a few years ago when he was picking out his 6 varieties of tomato plants and some squashes and seeds for his beloved vegetable garden. He was so happy to be sitting on the ground digging in the dirt!


We always had zucchini and yellow summer squash to share with friends and neighbors. I don't care for gardening but I'd often go down to his garden to admire his work when he was ready to show it to me. How I miss him! I treasure every memory of our long and rich life together.


Take more pictures of your loved ones!

Happy quilting





7 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

gee vic....even in grief practicality rears its ugly head....

julieQ said...

I am so sorry. It is so awful that finances have to get in there among your grieving heart. My heart and prayers are with you, and I just am heart broken for you.

Elaine Adair said...

I am reading every single word you are teaching us. As far as SS, I am under the impression you may draw from either yours or your late husbands, whichever is more, but not both. I am continuing to learn.

Janet O. said...

The costs associated with a loved one's death can be staggering. I am glad you have loved ones prepared to help.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Bless your sister for helping out. And hugs to you to keep you going.

Deb said...

Victoria, I didn't realize Felix had passed away. I am so sorry for your loss. I haven't seen you in some time, but was just thinking of you this evening, so came to your blog. I am working in Alton now, so if you are out and about one day, please let me know and maybe we could have lunch.

Nann said...

May there be more pleasant than unpleasant surprises for you, Vic!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...