Sunday, September 1, 2019

RABBIT!

Some of the silly little rituals that Felix and I always enjoyed with each other make me think of him. Like saying, "RABBIT!" as the first spoken word of the new month to ensure good luck. We also used to say,  "Gilmanton! We're  saved!  We're  saved!" as we crossed over the border into our town when on the road to home. I still do those and think of him fondly. How I miss his cheery company!

When my sister, Suzanne, who lives only a quick 25 miles away, invited me to her cookout today, I jumped at the chance to go. Her friend, Jasmine, has two daughters and one was celebrating a birthday with all of us. Here's Jasmine manning the grill for plenty of tasty hamburgers and hot dogs.


Her daughter, Kate, enjoyed the traditional song of "Happy Birthday" as she blew out the candles on her strawberry shortcake.


The family dog, Leroy, a lovely Golden Retriever, was trying to behave himself and not beg for food.


Here's  Suzanne, my wonderful sister, making my special favorite flavored coffee called, "Jamaican Me Crazy."


She was also wearing a pretty pair of sandals to show off her First-Ever new pedicure! Wow, French Blue toenails!


Lovable "Ernie" a favorite family cat, was very much enjoying the catnip  mouse that I'd brought for him!


After we'd all eaten our fill of delicious food, there was a hilarious skit that Jasmine's younger daughter, Jada, performed with Leroy, the dog, on the front lawn.



 It was so heart warming to spend the whole afternoon basking in the company of family and friends!

Earlier in the weekend, on Friday, I did go into Concord to the Golden Gese with my quilty friends. Maureen had most of her red/white/blue blocks assembled and they look terrific!


I actually felt up to sewing, too! I worked on joining some of my 6" HST blocks together into pairs.
I have 144 of these to do and the plan is to make 12 rows of 12 blocks each for a top that will be 72" square.


Here are some of the tiny pinwheels that I paired up.



I think that this is the first time since Felix has been gone that I've dragged my machine out of the car and really sewed. Baby steps!

Hope you are enjoying this cooler weather on Labor Day weekend. Happy quilting!




5 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

When you started your story, I thought you "found" a rabbit in the garden and I was going to suggest it might be a spirit. 8-)) We all pretend!

But, how pleasant of a visit you had, soft, gentle gatherings with loved ones, low stress, just warmth and loving friends and relatives. You are fortunate - so are they! 8-)))

Nann said...

So nice to see the smile in your typing, Vic! I, too, say, "Rabbit, rabbit" on the first of the month. Looks as though you had a lovely time with your sister and friends. And the pinwheels are on their way to becoming something interesting!

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Taking baby steps is okay

cityquilter grace said...

sounds like a wonderful day that you really needed....glad to see you are back sewing again....life goes on in the midst of life-changing events like these....

Janet O. said...

So glad you were able to spend time surrounded by family. Gotta be good for the aching soul.
I have been impressed with how you have been getting out and about, and sharing your journey with us, Vic. I think you are a wise woman, and I'll bet Felix is proud of you!
Love what you are doing with the pinwheels.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...