Tuesday, July 19, 2011

A Flourish For Another Finish!

On May 1st of this year, I fell in love with the mood of the "Chain of Faith" quilt by Jo Kramer for the Moda Bakeshop. Jo used an Irish Chain variation that used all scrappy backgrounds from the two Moda "Collections for a Cause" jelly rolls. A big "THANK YOU to Jo Kramer for sharing her great interpretation of this traditional design!
I wanted to make the quilt right away to use all of the $1.00 apiece Fat Quarters from the Keepsake Quilting shop April sale. I had a ball! Here I am finishing up the hand-hemming on the binding:
As you can see, I have a lot of helpers! Raven and Luau (my party dog!) are always near to encourage me to take a break to cuddle with them on THEIR futon. By the way, my tee shirt reads, "I'd be a vegetarian if BACON grew on trees!"
I told Felix, my Husband Wonderful, that this quilt would NOT have gotten hemmed without the running of our two AC window units that kept things cool enough to bear having a Warm & Natural batted quilt on my lap for three days! There goes the power bill. I swear, I have a size fourteen carbon footprint! But I wouldn't have it any other way! I'd far rather we use clean coal than to live with rolling blackouts without power.


This quilt looks better in the photographs as far as being able to "read" the single Irish chain design and the many reds are a lil' more tomato soup colored than appears here. I took some close-ups of a few of the fabrics so that you could get a sense of the cottage roses and sagey greens. The quilt is not exclusively Civil War reproduction fabrics, but there are many of them in there if you know where to look.


The last close-up is the truest of the colors. They are very warm and earthy with just enough of the cooler burgundy red to balance the mix.
On the back is the pieced warm grey flannel with the red tartan that did not get centered on the back. It's not my favorite part of the quilt, but it's okay.


The longarmer did a medium-large stipple that has very circle-like curves in a thread color called, "Cranapple!" Tracy Szanto of dreamlandmachinequilting.com did another outstanding job on the quilting! There are no puckers or gathers anywhere, despite the fact that I used two different weights of flannels on the backing. She is a real pro! Can you believe she charged me only $105? For a queen-sized 88 X 90 quilt? THANK YOU, Tracy, for keeping within my budget! I love this quilt so much that I plan on doing another one, just for fun!
Now, for those of you who think I must work fast with all these finishes, I tell you, "That's all, folks!" LOL!

1 comment:

Jo said...

It is great...I really love the fabric selections. I have another Moda Bake Shop project coming in early August. It's a nine patch variation...Jo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...