Thursday, May 31, 2012

The Dangers of Free Stuff!

I am a hoarder. I am a packrat. I am able to see a use for everything. Sigh. It's a curse. Well, anyway, I went to pick Matthew up at the Gilmanton Recyling Center where he works and discovered that someone had given up on their beekeeping. Two hive boxes and a cover and a queen-excluder and a base had been left at the free room. I was very excited. I loaded them all into my back seat and came home with them.



Felix, Matthew, and I all drove over to the local honey farm to talk to Ben Chadwick, who, as it turns out, is the local bee inspector. Now, mind you, twenty years ago I had taken a bee keeping course. I dropped out because it was too hard and too much of a commitment to try. Ben said we need to go again and that we had already missed the season to start a new colony. We should be thinking of next April. I have such mixed feelings about it all.

6 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Oh well - give it a GO! Time may have given you a more positive attitude towards beekeeping.

However, I am NOT happy that you have given me an idea to look more carefully at the recycle containers carefully parked where traffic can see "what's there."! I even have avoided ADDING to the recyclable mix, because I don't want the temptation, but beekeeping stuff? now that's good stuff!! Wonder what else might be there?????

Kats Studio said...

Why not, what have you got to lose. You might enjoy it now. A few years ago I had a lot of honey bees coming to my humming bird feeders so I fixed them a feeder of their own by using a cookie sheet and a piece of wire mesh. They came and drank sugar water all summer. "You can't plow a field by turning it over in your mind."

Vic in NH said...

Wow! What good support from two of my favorite people!!!! Thank you both so very much for the encouragement.

Auntie Em said...

I give you lots of credit just for knowing there is a "bee inspector"!

Glady said...

I know about those dangers of free stuff. I have a little wooden bat house in my garage that I was going to put up someday. It is still in there and probably houses a family of mice. As for keeping bees, you can always give it a try.

Beth in MN said...

Oh Vic, I love it!! I am always a "sucker" for anything free and always willing to give something a try. Glad someone else is in the same type of boat that I tend to row.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...