Friday, June 14, 2013

Census Miscount!

Wednesday night was fun as it was Guild night of the Belknap Mill Quilter's Guild. I was up as the last person for Show'n'Tell and I was very proud of my three log cabin quilts for my friend's triplet grandchildren.
I also told the story of Ilse's blind brother in Germany, who will be receiving this little quilted American Birds wall-hanging and how I had sewn black pony beads onto the eyes for him to feel with his fingertips.
I'm such a ham and I loved the applause! I was laughing as the above was taken, me and my big mouth!
The little wallhanging is deliberately UN-finished on the binding of the last corner, so that I can take it with me for tomorrow's Friday Quilters at The Alton Senior Center. The group is so new and I'm still learning what they would value for my teaching them. But I know that Bonnie K. Hunter had just recently shown cutting off the little bulky area across the inner corner before you stitch backside of the miter. It really helps it lie smoother!

As for the other quilty news, I had bought, you may recall, a big bunch of pre-cut tumblers at the Keepsake sale.

I knew when I got them that they were a slightly smaller size from the Missouri Star Quilt Company 5" charm pack sized one. The Keepsake ones are only 4" tall. What to do, what to do?
I opened one package and took out a single fabric tumbler. With a pen, I traced around that with a ruler onto a piece of cardboard from my recycling bin (Plumrose Bacon's pasteboard box) and cut it out with my "paper-only" rotary cutter.

I know that I could've just used the cardboard template, but instead, I took it to Richard Houle of Belmont Glass. He made up a fine acrylic ruler out of my pattern in cardboard. I was delighted with it!
Sorry, I haven't peeled the tape and blue backing off of it yet, so that it would show up better in pics. Here are the two stacked on top of each other to have you see that they are quite different shapes.
There had been a giveaway at the Missouri Star Quilt Company last week and I collected their mini version at only 2 1/2" tall. Here they all are together.
I'm having so much fun cutting tumblers!

In the meantime, it has been fascinating to view Spooky, the mother feral cat living in my garage. And there was definitely a miscount on the kittens. Now I count FOUR, LOL! Please, please, I hope that's all there are!


You can click on any picture to enlarge it to see it better.
Happy sewing!






5 comments:

Auntie Em said...

I had no idea that you could get a single acrylic template made from a glass place. Good idea if I ever need one. Thanks.
Cutie-pie kittens! Judging from their open eyes and perky ears, they must be a least a few weeks old, yes?

Janet O. said...

I thought the miscount was going to be on the triplets--you scared me!
Very smart to get the acrylic template made--so much more precise and easy to use than repeatedly chewing into your cardboard.
Love the photos of the Mama and her kittens. : )

Feathers in my Nest said...

Gosh, you've been busy lately! Getting alot done tho. Great idea with the template pattern....I love seeing pics of Smokey & her babies. just precious.

cityquilter grace said...

and you are feeding them? they are yours now i'll bet....and great idea having the template made, have to file that one away...

Kats Studio said...

Can't wait to see the quilt you make from this template. You look like you were having fun. Love the cats.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...