Wednesday, April 15, 2015

A Few Good Blocks

If it's Wednesday, it must be "Stars In A Time Warp" from Barbara Brackman's wonderful sew along on her Civil War Quilts blog.

This week's discussion on rainbow prints and shaded ombres were all fabric notions that were new to me, so I really enjoyed this topic.

After I dug into Wendy's magic box of scraps given to me, I found a scrap to use as the center of this block. Click to enlarge to see the shadings on the brown striped vine print. It's subtle, but it's there.


Yesterday, while I was awaiting the Brackman post for today, I got cocky and started a new project instead of working on finishing an old one.

It must've been having the Log Cabin top done and pressed, with a date already booked on the rented longarm to quilt it, that gave me license to start a new quilt. Or maybe it was the Spring air. Either way, I reveled in it! Little Twinkler's blocks, wheeeee!


Mine are made with 2½" squares and 1½" square flippy corners to make a 6" block finished in the quilt. They are so cute!


Stashbuster's has an open challenge to make these and boy, howdy, are they ever fun!

No plans yet on just how many I'll do, but I want half in lights and half in darks. They are like potato chips, you make a couple and feel motivated to make some more.

Last summer I had used the same technique with 5" charm pack squares. It is a variation on the friendship star.


The tip that I'll pass onto you if you wish to make these is throw out the mediums and just use darks and lights! Otherwise, your points will be lost.


I'm still enjoying using my little bonus triangles as leaders & enders. If you haven't yet discovered "Adventures With Leaders & Enders" by Bonnie K. Hunter, please do visit her site, and buy the book.

These 6" blocks (finished in the quilt) are what I made "in the meantime" with the L&E.


I'm saving tons of thread and making many more blocks than I ever used to do using Bonnie's methods, so I highly recommend her books.

Happy quilting!


3 comments:

Janet O. said...

Beautiful print in the center of your star.
Fun little twinkly stars! Oh, I really like the quilt you have already made from them!
Great use of your bonus triangles.
That book is the first Bonnie book I ever found, four years ago, and it has changed my quilting life!! : )

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Love your blocks AND Bonnie Hunter's time/thread saving methods. Only Bonnie can make me feel guilty if I'm not sewing on two quilts at one time anymore (L/E)! Ha!! I visited Footprints while in NH last week, what a cute shop; thanks for the recommendation!

cityquilter grace said...

love all your blocks....stars and pinwheels....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...