Monday, August 17, 2015

Material Meditation

The older I get, the less I like change.


My nice, safe, comfortable old rut is perfect, thank you!


It is fun to do armchair travel over the internet, but the real thing horrifies me. Staying home and playing with my bits of color are quite enough to satisfy me.


A repetitive task with a low learning curve has great appeal to me. It soothes my soul. That's why I so enjoyed Barbara Brackman's discussion and exploration of toiles on her Civil War Quilts blog. Link.


The modern toile above was a gift from my very dear friend, Grace, two February's ago when we went to The Busy Thimble in Litchfield, Maine. Link.
Shop owner Cyndi had put out a bonus of a free fat quarter with a purchase and Grace very generously gave me hers. Thank you, both, Cyndi, and Grace!


The toile shows the classic flag-raising image of American heroes at Iwo Jima, and also an analogous scene of the first responders  raising the flag at the site of the 9-11-01 tragedy. I fussy-cut the two scenes and made a block for each one.

Friday Quilters at The Golden Gese on 22 Liberty Street, in Concord, New Hampshire was fun for me in spite of my late arrival.

Maureen was already testing out her piano key border for fit on her brights batiks quilt top. Looking good, Maureen!!!


 Sue was proud to share her two finished Illusion quilts made from the Missouri Star Quilt Company's free pattern. The tutorial for this top is here.


The one above had the piano key border, while the one below was all made up from leftovers. Good going, Sue! No scraps leftover now!


Don't forget to click on any picture to enlarge it.


Sue, below, had also completed a strippy quilt with panels from her Alaska trip. She did her own quilting on this one!! Good work, Sue!


Below is Nancy, the shop's owner and our hostess, who admired Sue's quilt and chomped a little chocolate, too.


Beverly, below, was using gorgeous purple florals to make some of the microwave bowl-shaped potholders. Aren't they pretty?


Sue had a set of the potholder bowls in progress, too, and hers were in fabulous Christmas fabrics. So now you can guess what December's gifts will be around here, LOL!


We all want to acknowledge and thank another shop owner, Carol, for the pattern for these potholder bowls from the Quilt Away Shop in Westminster, Vermont, Link.


Do something familiar. It will be like meditation for your hands.


My meditation was the pinwheel block. Miss Emma Lynne's meditation was customizing her new squeaky duck rope toy.



Happy quilting!








8 comments:

straythreads said...

very delightful post!!!

Jean said...

Yes, I agree with you about being satisfied at home!

gayle said...

I'm not a good traveler, either. 8)
I've been eyeing those bowl potholders, meaning to make some someday. You know, someday when I finish the 42000 other projects I already have going...

Stacey said...

Oh My! Your toile is beautiful. I need to catch up on all my Barbara Brackman blocks.

audrey said...

Nothing wrong with sticking with what feels good to you. Your toile is a fun addition!

cityquilter grace said...

glad it became useful! and i do love those pinwheel blocks!

Rina Mason said...

I agree with the sticking close to home although I do like to take a road trip back to New England in the Autumn. I haven't been back in three years and really miss it.

Can you send me an email with your mailing address. I tried to contact you through your contact email but for some reason it came back as invalid.

Thanks, Rina

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Customizing: removing every trace of stuffing and/or any squeakers... Hannes would agree with Emma Lynne's definition of that word, he's a master toy customizer too.

There is something to be said for familiarity and the comfort derived from the customary. Your blocks are wonderful, Vic.

Thanks for sharing the show and tell from the Golden Gese, it's always inspiring.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...