Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Grassy Slope

My house sits up on a crest above the Route 140 roadway and there is a steep slope there. I cannot plant it with nice plantings because once a year the State of New Hampshire road crews come by and brush-hog it. It is far too steep to have my hubby mow it. So about 3 or 4 years ago, I tried some lupine plants in the terrible clay soil surrounded by thick quack grass. They grew!! And they have survived brutalization by the brush-hog and come back stronger. I'm planting more of them this year.


Even better, they are deer-resistant, too. That's important for there are a herd of 4 to 6 deer that tramp across Route 140 right at my house and snack on Felix's baby apple trees on their way. Sigh.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...