Saturday, May 23, 2015

Frosted!!


Last night our lovely Spring weather was interrupted by a deadly frost that killed all 18 of Husband Wonderful's baby tomato plants.


Felix knew that he was taking a big gamble to put them in the ground a week early, but he was morose at their demise. The lettuce and Swiss chard had not yet been planted so I had covered those with some old beach towels and they did just fine. All this week is predicted to be in the 80's, so the roller coaster ride continues.

But the Friday Quilters were full of life and bright new ideas for projects. Here are some of them from the workroom at The Golden Gese Quilt Shop on 22 Liberty Street in Concord, New Hampshire. Sue, seen below, was working on her polka dots and turquoise quilt.


She got most of it assembled and it looks fabulous!


Beverly, below, was cutting pieces for her Yellow & Grays Illusion blocks.


Her blocks sure do pop with a three dimensional optical illusion. Weak batteries in my camera are making everything look a bit yellowed but that background is white.


Maureen and Beverly are seen below holding up Maureen's Quack Quilt from Missouri Star Quilt Company. Those chicks make me laugh!!!


Now here's a big smile for you!


The blocks are really cute and Maureen used her embroidery machine to stitch those eyes on the chicks. Very effective, Maureen!


I couldn't face working on the hand sewing on my binding of my Piano Keys Log Cabin.


So instead I had a ball sewing more Jacob's Ladder blocks in the bright novelties. Sue was teasing me about all my empty candy wrappers from chomping chocolate, LOL! More Hersey's Nuggets, please!


We have such fun together and we get stuff done eventually. I can't recall if I got 3 or 4 blocks done of the brights version of my third, yes, third, scrappy Jacob's Ladder.


Sure hope that my swap hostess, Karen, will soon be sending me my May pouch filled with more wonderful HST's and 4-patches in the 4½" unfinished sizes. Eeek, I'm running out of the 4-patches!


May you enjoy this long Memorial Day weekend and give thanks to all our wonderful armed service people who have sacrificed to keep us free.



Happy sewing!










4 comments:

gayle said...

So sorry about your tomato plants! When I was living in Vermont, we used to start tomatoes every spring. I remember one year we transplanted them after June 1st, then there was a frost and they froze. So, heartbroken, we bought plants and transplanted them. And they froze. So we bought more plants, transplanted them, and they froze too!!
*sigh*

Auntie Em said...

Sorry about the tomato plants.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

You managed to have a fun time despite the loss of your tomatoes; good for you. A few more replacement plants and you're back in business, spring is bound to come and stay this time... love those bright Jacob's Ladder blocks!

Cathy said...

I think your Jacob's ladder 4Ps are all mine!!!! You will get monkeys this month and some other jungle fun.

Too bad about the tomato plants. Mine are all doing fine even though we snuck ours out a little before the last frost date too. The rabbits have been eating some of the cabbages and broccoli but since we start are own I had extras that hadn't been given away yet for replacements.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...