Friday, November 29, 2013

Secrets Revealed!

No, no, I'm not talking about the Bonnie K. Hunter mystery, Celtic Solstice that just began today! But I'll be working on that clue 1 for this week, so you'll see that later in a few days. But if you want to join in that fun, here is the link to it.


This secret project was a farewell quilt for our beloved Alton Senior Center former director, Amy Braun. She was called away to go work at the sumptuous assisted living facility called Sugar Hill in Wolfeboro, New Hampshire.


This quilt was worked on by all the gals in The Sunshine Club quilters as we pooled our stashes to make a scrappy 4" tumblers quilt. We wanted it to be from all of us!

Here is Sue ironing freezer paper onto the backs of some of the light-toned tumblers to make it easier for folks to sign the quilt.



We all worked to get as many of the regulars that come to the Center to sign their name on a light tumbler and we had to be very sneaky so Amy wouldn't see it happening!


Margorie brought in a lot of cut tumblers made with a borrowed template. I did most of the assembling of the blocks.


Here is The Sunshine Club when the top was all assembled and after it was quilted by me on my old trusty White Sewing Machine.


 We had it pinned onto the Thanksgiving quilt just so that the regulars could see it for a day before we presented it to Amy up in Wolfeboro at her new job.


Didn't Pauline do a fabulous job on that red binding? I'm showing the next picture of Pauline holding a different quilt because she did the binding at home and I have no pictures of her working on it, but here she is!


Amy just loved her new quilt and had to hold back her tears of grateful appreciation!


Some of the ladies that happened to be enjoying coffee together right there at the Sugar Hill coffee shop were from the Ladies Of The Lakes Guild and were happy to take our picture with Amy.

Pauline, Amy, Sue, Margorie, and Victoria (me).

It was a wonderful moment and I am glad to share it with you! There were hugs all around and soon we were out in the brisk New Hampshire air.


But as I walked back to my car, I was dismayed to see that my front license plate was missing!


When I got home and reported my problem to my two heroes, Felix and Matthew, they took Felix's mountaineer on a mission. Recall that I had gone off the road twice on black ice and then gotten hit by another sliding car last Saturday night?

Well those two wonderful guys of mine scoured both locations. They finally were able to find my lost license plate and a part of my front bumper lying in the tall grass in a ditch along Route 107 in Belmont!!! Talk about lucky finds, wow! Tomorrow they will work on getting it all back together for me.

Stay calm and quilt on!

3 comments:

Janet O. said...

What a thoughtful gift for Amy! You ladies did a great job!
From what I saw of Wolfeboro, I would not be surprised that their assisted living facility is sumptuous. : )
What a blessing that the guys found your plate! I've heard of plates being stolen and put on another car for a getaway car, so if any witness gets the license number it will lead the police astray. I thought you were going to tell me that is what had happened. Glad it was otherwise

Elaine Adair said...

A lovely gift to an admired lady! 8-)) Good job.

I read all about your traveling adventures - yikes -- we have cold here but NO hills to speak of. Good that all turned out reasonably OK.

I thought of you 50 times Thursday, during the baking, cooking, using your gift of some time ago. Thank you again - how nice to associate all those good foods with a far-away friend! 8-))

Blessings to you and your family and friends.

Nann said...

From tumbling blocks to a tumbling bumper....glad that both are now with their rightful owners! I look forward to seeing your version of Celtic Sunrise. (I have the fabric pulled but haven't cut anything....I already feel behind!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...