Saturday, March 22, 2014

Still Snowing!

The Sunshine Club had a happy meeting in spite of the snow showers on Friday (and, yes, we are having them again today!). Sue was having some problems re-threading her machine when the thread kept breaking.


She wasn't a very good sport about it, now was she? Never mind! Pauline, our in-house designated sewing machine repair mechanic, gave it a quick look. Soon Sue was attaching her 27th row of her purple tumblers quilt. You go, Sue!


Pauline had found a thread-guide had gotten skipped and that solved the problem. Thanks, Pauline!

Here Pauline is modeling the new scarf that she pieced. We all agreed that she should make more of them for the church bazaar in the fall. What would you price them at? I said $15, but Sue said $10. Please leave a comment of what it would be in your neck of the woods, thanks!


Pauline also had finished her snowflake applique block, so pretty!


She is gathering blocks from all the church ladies for their opportunity quilt (raffle).


As for me, I had worked at home to get all the pieces cut out for a second basket block for The Farmer's Wife quilt by Laurie Aaron Hird. It really is a change of pace to do a hand-sewing project!


And I'm still loving that scrap square of batting to roll up all the pieces when I'm ready to put it away. It sure does keep everything in place. An empty paper towel tube rolls it neatly.

I had brunch with the gang but I did not stay for Bingo.


If you are reading this from the southlands, you may not understand this sign that appears every few miles on our New England secondary roads. "Frost Heave"

Our roads are being broken apart by the very volatile temperature ranges of the weather. The expansion and contraction of the asphalt creates 4 to 6 inch dips in the road or equal bumps upwards. If you go too fast with your car, you can break a shock absorber or even an axle. Travel is slow and tiring to the body. It feels like you are riding in a buckboard wagon, LOL!



When I got home at last, I tried to take a picture of the UFO that I want to work on for my challenge to Felix for the end of March. I said that I'd try to finish a quilt by then if he'd try to finish repairing and getting a firearm ready for sale. But for my picture, the wind kept blowing and blowing!!! This was the best photo I could get of my Fons & Porter's Milky Way.


Most of the time it was tangled around my feet, LOL!



Stay calm and quilt on!

6 comments:

Janet O. said...

The scarf is definitely worth the higher price--or more. The question is, what are people in your area willing to pay for handwork?
Can't believe your weather. Had an email from my daughter yesterday--they had an outing planned for today to Connecticut. I hope they were still able.
Oh, I love your Milky Way quilt. It is a scrap lovers delight!! : )

Unknown said...

$10 in KY.

Feathers in my Nest said...

I'm with you Vic, $15..filled the feeders yesterday, the poor birds don't know if it's really Spring or still winter...They're starting to sing though..so pretty. Yes, those Frost Heaves are wicked..

cityquilter grace said...

i would go for $10, better to price it alittle conservatively and sell it than not....and i love the milky way quilt! we are off to breakfast at a sugar house...it's maine maple sunday!

Vic in NH said...

Thank you everybody for the input on the price of the scarves! -Victoria

Nann said...

It may be apocryphal, but I remember reading a comment by someone "from away" who mused, "Why do New Englanders dislike Robert Frost?" upon seeing sides that say, "Frost heaves." LOL!

I'd say $10 for the scarves. Dusting of snow here last night.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...