Monday, June 4, 2012

Evening Star Obsession


The cold, damp, rainy weather is just perfect for hiding out in my Quilt Cave and piecing Evening Stars!

These start out as four matching scrap bricks of 4 1/2" by 2 1/2" that I make into a set of flying geese using four light 21/2" squares. I know that I could do it with the speed-geese method, but I greedily want to make all those bonus HST's from the geese corners.

Every time that I complete one of these, I have a secret inner gasp at how pretty they look to me. The center big square is cut at 4 1/2" and it goes together like a nine-patch's construction.

I like the look of making all four of the 2 1/2" corners match, but not one of these stars is the same.

Would anyone out there care to join me at making some of these? I swear they are addictively fun!

I plan to use them in a quilt this time and not just as potholders. But I'm not sure if I'd like to do a red print sashing? Or maybe just alternating plain blocks with a red print inner border? We'll see. Tell me what you think!

2 comments:

Glady said...

I like your scrappy evening star blocks, Vic. Sorry, but I can't help you with the border color. I have to see it on the wall and then think about for two or three days before I can decide on borders. You must be getting the rain we had in Ohio a couple of days ago. It's sunny again, but cool today.

Sue Daurio said...

Yep I had the same gasp when I looked at those blocks. Just beautiful!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...