Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Art of Mosey-ing

Do you mosey as you quilt?


Most people feel rushed and hurried. I have all the time in the world. When some rude driver follows me too closely, I yield and pull over to let the jerk pass me. If there is no safe place to pull over to yield, then I deliberately slow down to 35 miles per hour. I'd rather ruin their day than to feel pushed.



Time is universal. But how we perceive it is uniquely individual and emotional. I was raised to feel competitive and pressured to perform. I'm still rebelling against that.



"Clean your plate;" or "Finish what you're doing," "Hurry up!" were the constant programming of parents, teachers, scout leaders...all the role models.



Now I putter. I delight in dawdling. I take afternoon naps. I amble instead of walking briskly. I loaf.

My personal lack of self-discipline is evidenced by swaths of loose dog hair in the hallway so thick you could build your own kitten with it. But I have fun with my quilting in spite of my gnat's attention span.

What's amazing to me is that the stuff I care about does get done! I figure that when I'm dead and safely in my grave, nobody is going to care about my housekeeping, but they will all fight over who gets the quilts! At least, I hope so.


My play habits (as opposed to work habits) include trails of breadcrumbs laid out on the side of my sewing machine, or perhaps on the ironing board, to help me find my way back into the creative process. It might be in the form of half a dozen units all ready to be chain-pieced laid out by the machine. Or maybe some blocks ready to be pressed with heavenly scented starch.
That means that as I leave my Quilting Cave, there is something there waiting to greet me with an easy little task to do for whenever I do return. I wonder why the elves haven't stepped in and taken over! LOL!




7 comments:

Debra said...

We're a lot alike Vic. I putter along too. Work at my own pace. Take naps in the afternoon.I get easily side tracked whatever I'm doing. Life is good.

Kate in CT said...

Vic--You are a girl after my own heart. I love to get up early and putter with coffee in hand. I do the necessities so that I'm not embarassed if anyone stops buy, but most of the time I'm in my sewing room enjoying myself, except late afternoon, which is nap time. Since retiring in February, I've mastered that art.

cityquilter grace said...

my t-shirt says it all....eat, sleep and quilt!

Kats Studio said...

I love your writing Vic, I can see you in your car just crusin' down the road. I like all of your quilt blocks. What quilt are they going to be used in?

Nann said...

Looks as though a spammer caught you!

My comment is legit -- I do like your attitude! I hope to emulate you when I retire....

Vic in NH said...

Thank you, Nann! I have deleted the offending spam but I will continue to keep that awful word verification program away to make it easy to comment.

Elaine Adair said...

GREAT post, Vic - esp. like the part about not hurrying, yet your projects get done - isn't that a good lesson. I refuse to be pushed and will stop like a cow, if someone MAKES me do something I don't want to do. Perhaps we should all join a group? LOL uhh, no, that won't work. No one would get to the meetings on time! 8-)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...