Saturday, December 14, 2013

A Winter Wimp

Well I survived a very Happy Friday The Thirteenth and enjoyed a Merry Christmas visitation all at once. My sister Suzanne and I visited for Christmas gift exchanges by both of us meeting at the Alton Community Center as it's now called.
I had worked all day to complete a quilted table runner for her and I was very pleased with it!


It is a bunch of primitively free motion quilted designs on a nicer quality bit of natural muslin from Joann's remnant bin. I used an upside-down salad bowl and an old washable orange marker to trace the center circle, but that was the only marking that I did.


The plumes of my wreath are so very wonky! In my mind, I can make a smooth evenly shaped curve, but when I am free motioning, the wiggles get me wonky. LOL! But my sister Suzanne loved it!


The small patterned pebbling took lots of time and thread but it was lots of fun. You kinda make lots of figure eights in differing sizes as you go.

I quilted in my signature and the date on this because I wanted this piece to be reversible with no label. I went very slowly when signing and had several stops and starts between some letters for clarity. It was just Connecting Threads Essential Threads with the Cornsilk as my needle thread and Taupe in the bobbin. The backside is a green/red/gold/rose check by Fabri-Quilt called Georgian Manor. It looks great with the turkey red binding. If I wasn't so stupid, I would've taken a picture of it, LOL!
Here is a bit of the same fabric where I used it in Jo Kramer's Chain of Faith quilt from Moda's Bake Shop. At least you can see it there because I had used the whole half-yard piece in the table runner with nary a scrap leftover to photograph.

 My sister made her gift to me, also! She is fabulous at flower arranginements and made me this Winter Market Basket piece to set outdoors by the front entrance to my house.
The basket contains several stones to weight the piece and anchor the greenery. It looks so festive!

We had fun at The Sunshine Club, too! Pauline had brought in her new hand-made kalidescope with the colored marbles that turn to create the designs.


She is sorting out the lights and darks of her new jelly rolls of all solids, while Sue is working on piecing her purple-on purple tumbler pattern quilt. A snow squall sprang up and I left right after lunch rather than stay for Bingo. That incident with the black ice has made me much more fearful about winter driving. Now I'm a winter wimp! LOL!

Stay calm and quilt on!





4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Nothing wrong with being a winter wimp. After I spun out of control one winter, I have been much more hesitant to drive in those conditions!
I tried my first longarm quilting yesterday. I'll have to stick to my sit-down model. I couldn't do nice curves to save me! Yours look much better than mine!!: )

cityquilter grace said...

looks terrific! i am impressed big time! and i love the outdoor basket too....got home just as snow was starting and i get to stay in now...have all the necessary stuff on hand...pepsi included...LOL

Helen in the UK said...

Great job on your runner and you received a lovely arrangement in return :)

Feathers in my Nest said...

Beautiful quilting Vic, you're awesome. Love your sister's basket, so pretty. I suppose I should put a wreath up...I so bad this year....no Christmas spirit here...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...