Thursday, September 18, 2014

Marcus Brother's Binding Chosen

This is my choice for the binding on my Scrappy Jacob's Ladder. I wanted a red to accent both the scrappiness of the front and to work with the Stewart Tartan on the backing, too.


By the way, when you look at the upper picture, you will notice that I chose to use a Half Square Triangle as the corner block. Everytime I tried to put a four patch there, it looked wrong, so I gave up and threw four HST's together for the four corners!


I got the binding all cut, joined, and pressed with starch to glue it together.


Then I stitched it onto the quilt. It is exhausting to horse around a big 84" square queen. My hat's off to those of you who quilt big quilts on a DSM!!!
My skills are poor at sewing down the attached binding by machine. It does not give me the finished look that I like, so I'm stitching the hem by hand.

Yesterday my sister, Suzanne, and I enjoyed a visit and celebration of her 70 years on the planet. She loved my gift to her of a Chinese dragons designed sterling silver bracelet! She has a nice collection.


We had an ice cream at Shibley's in Alton Bay, New Hampshire, after a lovely pot roast lunch at The Senior Center's Open House. Here you can see that there was more progress being made to the roof of the new addition. Roofing sure does make a racket!!!



As for the Celtic Solstice blocks that had been going together bit by bit, their production came grinding to a halt when I discovered that I'd run out of the orange/green four-patches!



Moan and groan!!! I'm only up to having made 18 blocks and I need 25. Oh well.


Did I miscount? Or did I lose a whole batch somewhere? Back to the salt mines! I know it's only 30 that I need but I rebelled and sewed up some scrappy Balsam fir needle Christmas sachets instead.


Ain't it great to be a grown-up and do whatever you please? LOL!

Happy sewing!





5 comments:

Janet O. said...

Oh, you make me laugh, Victoria!
Always such fun to visit you. : )

antique quilter said...

Happy birthday to your sister! I love balsam fir sachets I have one from Maine a friend sent me a while back. Its great to pick it up and just feel like christmas is here with the Aroma!
Kathie

Nann said...

Happy birthday, Suzanne!
Your solution to the corners is great-- makes it your own.

Feathers in my Nest said...

Oh Happy Birthday Suzanne! Looks like you 2 had a grand time...I can smell you sachets from here Vic, so pretty. Love that scent. Great for the car...Yes, I agree. Always a plus to have a good Mouser around in the Fall when the mice are on the move...

Beth in MN said...

Hey Vic, Love the Jacobs ladder quilt with the HST on the corners. I agree that the triangles add a nice element to the design. The binding will be awesome with the plaid back. Yes ---- It is great to do what you feel like doing!!!! LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...