Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Shopping My Stash

When I saw Barbara Brackman's Civil War Quilts blog earlier today, my heart trembled. Prussian Blues!!! Oh. My. God.
I feared that I had sold all that I'd had to the nice lady in Texas a year or two ago. Oh no, and now I have a use for them! Yikes! I ran downstairs to my Quilt Cave in my partially heated basement and pulled out these.


HAA!!! Some days, it pays to be a hoarder, after all, LOL! I apparently had sold off hunks and reserved some for myself to keep. They are such a bright electric blue that I had many fears about using them.


I had mistakenly thought that they might "spoil" my reproduction quilts if I put in such a bright cobalt colored blue. Okay, I'm just a tourist here, and still learning so much from Barbara Brackman.


Whenever I finally figure out just how to make my blocks up, I'll post them here.
In the meantime, I have some photos to share from back on Friday Quilters at The Golden Gese Quilt Shop on 22 Liberty Street in Concord, New Hampshire.


Why does it take hours to actually accomplish some quilting and then seconds to view the results in a photograph???? It is the nature of the beast, I say!
I got this Clermont Farms by Moda fully pressed so that I could see about some borders for it.


Since I only had those four charm packs and the line is long out of print, I used some Bordeaux & Sienna by Marcus Brothers for the inner borders, and a Nancy Rink floral called Tweet for Two, also by Marcus Brothers, for the outer border.


The Golden Gese has their traditional January 20% off sale going on, and I'm planning to go again this Friday it the weather allows it. Claire worked right out straight cutting for customers!


After a final pressing, my top measured 67" by 76," and I hope to piece a flannel backing for it from my stash. Here is a quick look at some of the fabrics closer up.


Fun, huh? Barbara from Maine took this photo of me holding it up very proudly, thank you, Barbara!


She is pictured here with her cute moose top!


I just thought that this was very well done, thanks for sharing it here, Barbara!


Claire had a really nice example of a red/white/black chicken themed top done, too.


Here's hoping that you get some progress for today, too.


Maybe shop your own stash for viewing forgotten treasures?


And even if you're just treading water while you are awaiting inspiration, that counts in my book!

Happy sewing









7 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

i'm working on my blocks too and one of my blues YOU gave me...LOL...love your R/B/Cream....stay warm!

Janet O. said...

You have some beautiful blues there, Vic!
Great quilt top finish. Simple designs are some of the most appealing, IMHO.
Love the blue and brown star--favorite color combo. How many do you make in each color combination?

Beth in MN said...

Ah Vic, You are just too precious! I love that you were actually willing to sell some of your stash. Murphy's Law says that you will need that fabric as soon as it is gone. I am such a hoarder although I am starting to donate some stuff. Those blue with brown blocks are awesome. I love blue and brown together. Great job.
Hugs

Jean said...

I finished my turkey reds today, and I pulled some blues. I am not confident that they are Prussian blues, but they are not dar or indigo. Hope I have come close. I am going for four each. Who knows if I will manage that many, but that is what I am shooting for. Your blues late perfect.

Jean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nann said...

It is amazing what will turn up in your stash, isn't it? Glad you had a few Prussian blues tucked away.

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Victoria,
You won my scrap giveaway and I couldn't find a way to e-mail you so if you e-mail your address to me, I will get them in the mail to you. Congratulations and have fun with them!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...