Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Last Tuesday of the Month

Okay, I've really lost my mind!

When I was invited to join a Farmer's Wife quilting group, I swore that I would NOT join it because it is ONLY hand sewing and ONLY template-cutting with scissors. Not my style of working. But I kept thinking about it. And thinking about it.

My tee shirt reads, "Whatever is new, is bad" -Wallace Nutting, 1925

So when the last Tuesday of the month rolled around, I grabbed some Civil War reproductions, the checkbook, and, of course, a bag of Hersey's Milk Chocolate Nuggets and went out the door!
I spent the morning enjoying the company of my fellow quilters and had a ball!


The class was held at Evergreen Country Primitives Quilt shop and half of the ladies there are already dear friends from The Belknap Mill Quilter's Guild. They all pitched in to help me and I was able to get part of the basket weave block done.



But I haven't relinquished my first love of sewing on Old Trusty, my circa 1949 White Sewing Machine that just happens to be turquoise, LOL!


Here I was sewing up a bunch more of those large scale log cabins in the coffee browns and creamy neutrals. I had thought that I would stop at 30 of them but decided to make 36 instead. They are all finished and pressed but it was just too breezy today to play with layouts on my asphalt driveway.


Mostly I just goofed off today and spent pleasant hours out on the deck with Raven and the kitties. Doesn't that sound like it should be a 1960's do-wop band? LOL, never mind!

Kitty-tail growing right out of Raven's back.


The morning was sunny and pleasantly cool.

Kitty kisses.

I did some pre-washing, too and line-dried in the breezes.


Sometimes I just pop a load of pre-washed fabrics from my ancient toploader right into the dryer, but I am scrupulous about emptying my lint trap EVERY load! This next picture is from having dried one load of several yards and fat quarters in my dryer. Just LOOK at that lint-ball!


So the next time you are thinking that the lint-build up around your bobbin case is just from too-linty thread, remember that lots of that lint is coming just from your fabrics, too!

I use a stiff artist's filbert brush EVERY time I change my bobbin to brush away lint under the throat-plate and inside the bobbin race area. That and a Sunday oiling policy has kept me trouble-free.

In the meantime, four-month old "Tipper" was attacking the leaves in the water dish, LOL!
Happy sewing!





3 comments:

Janet O. said...

You just have too much fun, Vic. : )

Nann said...

Great t-shirt! I learned to appreciate early American design and material culture because of Wallace Nutting (and Samuel & Narcissa Chamberlain). Nutting wasn't always correct in his conclusions (he wrote in that era of "preserve our sacred past" (reaction to late 19th c immigration and to 'modernism' when 18th/early 19th c stuff was considered old and thrown out) -- but he was good at self-promotion!

Elaine Adair said...

OMGosh at that lint!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...