Monday, October 15, 2012

Cocheco Daydreams

Yesterday was the Cocheco Quilter's annual quilt show at the community center in Rochester, New Hampshire, not quite an hour's drive for me and well worth the trip!



 I apologize for just snapping pictures of what amused me without any attempt to get credit for the quilter's who worked so hard on their creations.

Pure eye-candy!


I was pleased to see so many Civil War reproduction themed quilts even though they were not in the majority.
My dear friend, Grace, from over in Maine, had met me there. She sure looks guilty at picking out new stuff from one of the vendors like a deer in the headlights!
We got to see an antique quilt from the 1840 to 1890's being appraised. It was so thin we thought it had no batting, but it had a little.
It was a lovely Courthouse Steps. Just look at those old fabrics!
There was a red poppy quilt on display, too.
I saw two Storm At Sea versions that were wonderful.
This one, with the red accents, was for sale for $500. I thought it was a good price because it was beautifully made.
Although I usually do not care for 1930's reproductions, the sheer scope of this next quilt impressed me!
And it looked great with no borders at all.
And all hand quilted in outlines of the muslin triangles. Whew!

I especially loved this period piece that was a Civil War crib quilt.
 It's colors looked so bright and had not been washed very much. I wondered if the terrible infant mortality that was so common then precluded the quilt's having seen much hard use. Or was it maybe saved for only special occasions?

The quilt that inspired me the most was this Jacob's Ladder in sweet blues and browns.
Love those indigos!












3 comments:

FeatherDuster said...

Those are some great quilts.

I've started hand-piecing a log cabin quilt very much like the one in your photo, except my centers are blue. It's been set aside while I focus on finishing up the piecing on a tumbling blocks top but I'll get back to it before long...and I'll just keep plugging away at it. It'll be a very long-term project because my "logs" are only 1/2 inch wide :-O

Glady said...

I enjoyed seeing these quilts from the Cocheco Quilter's Show. Thanks for sharing your day with us. I think my quilt show days are over until next spring. I will be attending a quilter's garage sale coming up at the end of this month. Can't wait!

cityquilter grace said...

gee, the quilts look different from your perspective...did we really go to the same show? funny what appeals, although i do like the civil war quilts too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...