Thursday, October 11, 2012

Phyllis Mae's Quilt

Two of the most fun and impressive quilts that influenced me at the Monadnock Show in Peterboro, New Hampshire were antique quilts from the Civil War era. Here is one:
The design is so simple; four patch alternating with an unpieced square to make a double 4-patch. Check out the detail as she patched the same fabric within one of the squares. Every tiny scrap was so precious!
And my very favorite quilt was this one whose legend I did photograph but it was too far away to be legible, groan! Anyway it is a 16-patch design, I think it was listed as "Soloman's Crown"? If anybody out there can correct me if I'm wrong, I hope you will.
It was a big quilt and the blocks had been enlarged by a frame like one round of Courthouse Steps with lights and darks.
These HST's are so little!
Just look at that poison green up above! Click on the picture to enlarge it.


I also got my mojo back to make those last four Sister's Choice blocks.
I'm getting bolder with my neutrals!
Each of the wings on the 9-patch is a set of 8 matching greens.
I wish that I could lay all 48 blocks out on my driveway to be sure to have good color distribution, but today is just too windy to do it!

What I did work on was the hand hemming of the scrappy binding of Phyllis Mae's quilt for her 90th birthday.
Didn't it come out great?

Here is a little shot of the scrappy bindings:
Now to just do a label for it!











2 comments:

Marge Gordon said...

I find a similar blocks in Block Base. One is called Crystal Star (#H053) and the other is Flying Colors (#H028) I'm with you, I love it!

cityquilter grace said...

very nice vic...and all set for sunday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...