Thursday, October 4, 2012

Dust Bunny Blues

The past few days have been a whirlwind of errands and appointments punctuated by sloth. My almost-63 year old body complained a lot about the physical activity of hanging the show, so I have done quite a bit of napping.
I skipped my Sew & Sews Wednesday session but I did sew a few more strip sets for the Community Comfort quilt all in green fence rails. Here are a couple before they were pressed:
It takes a moment to orient the strips so that the darkest one is on top so that when you lift it to press the seam, it will press to the dark side. I got a bunch done but haven't cut them into the 3 1/2" blocks yet. Jean said she thinks we need 244 blocks.
As I worked on these strips, I was still using those lil' tiny bonus HST's for my Ocean Waves as my leaders/enders.

I also need a quilt-in-a-hurry for my sister's mother-in-law, Phyllis Mae to celebrate her 90th birthday! I have just gotten a 1930's Star & Chain quilt back from Linda Monasky, my usual longarm quilter over at the Bear Paw Gallery in Alton, New Hampshire. Sorry it was too rainy today to photograph the quilt, but Linda did a nice even meander on it and it looks great! The "weather liars" promise that tomorrow will bring the first sunshine in a week. Perhaps I can get a shot of it for you then. In the meantime, here is a picture of the pieces of the scrappy Aunt Grace 1930's binding strips.
That old basket works wonderfully to catch my binding as it comes off the ironing board in one gigantic long strip. It keeps it from tangling, and more importantly, out of the dirt, dog hair, and dust bunnies on the cellar floor. (I have a maid. Her name is "Nobody." "Nobody dusts, Nobody mops, Nobody vacuums! LOL) I carry the whole basket thing over to the sewing machine and it acts as a dispenser as I pull the strip from it.

Lastly, but not least, I broke my sluggish inertia and got back to making a couple of those Sister's Choice Part II blocks. Seeing my Sister's Choice Part I hanging in the show looking so fine and so finished really motivated me.
This is all authentic Civil War reproduction fabric except for the green wings on the 9-patch. That fabric is an ancient Cranston pindot by Joan Kessler from the 1980's. Talk about using up old stash!


On this one above, the 9-patch is pretty scrappy within the block, something that I don't usually do, but, hey, it IS a scrap quilt, right? I feel like a kindergartener who colored outside the lines, LOL!!!

As for my obsession with Sawtooth Star Potholders, I am happy to report that they have all found good homes. "Pepe" (Richard) Houle of Belmont Glass, who repaired my ripped up window screen for free, got two of them as gifts for his newest RV that he and his wife will be taking to Florida soon.
 And the rest were sold to a lovely lady who visits my blog. Thank you, Christine for your order! Now, can I ever stop? We'll see!






1 comment:

Nancy said...

Ohh, I love your Sister's Choice blocks. I like the scrappy one better than the other. I think variety in a block makes for so much more interest. I suppose it comes from having a Dresden Plate quilt on my bed as a kid. Each plate had 15 or 16 different fabrics. Looking at that quilt was playtime for me as a kid, trying to find each fabric more than once in the whole quilt. Anyway, I think your Sister's Choice will be beautiful when it's finished.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...