Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Special Occasion

Today was a very special day for me for two reasons; first, there was a farewell party for Sally, who is one of our beloved "Sew & Sews", the sit'n'sew group from the Belknap Mill Quilter's Guild. Cindy organized the event and it was hosted by Sharon in her lovely lakeside home.

Sally, pictured below, is off to a relocation to Leisureworld in California and we all wanted to give our special regards.

I had been holding out on showing you the little table topper or wallhanging quilt that I made for her.


Here it is before it was bound, I'm laughing because I now realize that I have no pictures of it finished, LOL! Never mind!
It is all floral scraps with one large bloom that represents Sally. I named the quilt, "Friendship Garden" and I quilted those words on it with free motion quilting.

The above photograph was taken before I sewed the two necessary French knots by hand to dot the two letter "i's" in the word friendship.


I outlined each patch in the garden, put 22 hearts on a vine all the way around it on the outer border, and bound it with a deep maroon binding.
It was well received and I was so glad because every stitch was made with love.
It was a warm day and we all certainly enjoyed our potluck lunch together on the screened porch.


But remember that I said at the beginning of this post that there were two special events today? Well, my charming hostess, Sharon, is the gal who just became the new grandmother of the triplets that were born May 31st of this year.
Today I got to present her with the "jewels of her office" in the form of those three log cabin baby quilts that I made for her. She had seen pictures but now she got to see the quilts for real and touch them.
Sharon and I are seeing the quilts.
On the way home from the party, I stopped off at Reuben's Alton Home & Lumber Center and bought a nice new 25 foot tape measure for measuring quilts and battings and backings and such. Now perhaps I'll be able to find the perfectly good one that I've misplaced here somewhere, LOL!

I got myself a great metal nozzle for the hose outdoors, too. That means that Matthew can wash Raven out on the deck with a proper nozzle and not run the well dry. Hmm. What a concept; having the right tools! LOL.

Happy sewing and stay cool!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...