Monday, July 16, 2012

Cutting Frenzy

Stashbusters.com says to do a "Cut It Up Sunday," and boy, howdy, did I ever.

I decided to make some homemade quilter's "jelly rolls". I cut two 2 1/2" wide by the full width of fabric strips from twenty two different fabrics, making a total of 44 strips per jelly roll. Then I chose one extra strip and ironed it in half lengthwise with a touch of starch to be the "ribbon."

For the first one that I made, I chose Shabby Chic Cottage Roses as my theme; all pink florals. Somehow, individually, they look old-fashioned and dated, but grouped together, they are such fun!
For the second one that I made, I used all Creamy Neutrals. It was a bit of a challenge. I had to lay them all out, spaced in about 3/8" increments, and then to roll them tightly. I secured the roll with a large rubber band, you know, the kind that they wrap over the cellophane on heads of broccoli? Worked perfectly! Then over the rubber band, I tied up my "ribbon" into a pretty bow.

I'm thrilled with how terrific they look! I plan on taking them to the sit'n'sew meeting on Wednesday. I want to give them Judy to put into the Penny Sale (Silent Auction) at my guild's upcoming show. I have baskets to place them into also, from the Gilmanton Community Church Rummage Sale. I'm not a church-goer, but I do love their Barbequed Chicken and Ribs annual community dinner that was held on Sunday. And the Dump Run Coffee Cafe has delicious goodies with great coffee. I hope God forgives me for worshipping when eating.

I also need to get moving on my Browns Swap for August over at Quiltvilleswap  http://groups.yahoo.com/group/QuiltvilleSwap/ , so I cut 100 brown strips for that, too. Now I'm in the process of dealing them out
like playing cards to get ready to load them into their little snack sized zip-locks.


I get tired of standing and smoothing them so I have more to do. Tomorrow I should be able to finish and mail them out to Subee, our prewashed hostess.
You can also see that at the top right of the picture above, I saved one extra cut from each of those creamy neutrals for myself. They will go into my Someday Smith Mountain Morning pile. I'll get there.

4 comments:

Helen in the UK said...

Those jelly rolls look brilliant! Wish I could come to your silent auction and bid on the neutrals one ... a quilter can never have too many neutrals :)

Debra said...

I agree with the neutrals comment! I am in a swap for 10" neutral squares on my aboutquilting.com forum. They should be arrivind any day! Boy is right, you sure have been busy. I just bought new blades at Joanns for 50% off. It kills me to spend what they want for new blades now a days. I try to stock up when I can.

Beth in MN said...

Wow!! Makes me think I had better get my butt in gear and do something like that. Your jelly rolls look fabulous.

Kats Studio said...

Wow Vic, looks like you have been a busy bee. Love all your fabrics. Hopefully things will settle down and I can get back in my studio. I miss not being in there working.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...