Sunday, July 22, 2012

Quilty At Home Day

Today I finished up that little paper piecing block for the guild's raffle quilt next year. Here is the last sequence of steps to put on the final round, which was the triangle pieces, one at a time.
 First, flip it over, and fold the paper back exactly on the line.
 Then position the lip of the Add-A-Quarter ruler right on that folded paper,
 and trim it off for an exact 1/4" seam allowance to be perfectly ready to receive the edge of the next piece.
 Now flip it over again to the fabric side.
Now you can see from the above shots that each of the white batik strips have each been trimmed evenly to a quarter inch from the back. Now we add the triangles one at a time.
Now flip the whole business over again to show the printed lines. I have just stitched on the line, starting and stopping precisely, no going beyond!

Above, you see one side done and I have flipped it over to pin the next triangle into place. Then, I flip it over again and sew along the printed line again.
Here it is done:
I also worked some more on my hand hemming. It always takes longer than I think it should.

I had also used my big bathroom sink to prewash some browns in Orvus and hang them out. Boy, they sure did dry quickly in the afternoon's heat! By about 1:00 pm, I couldn't stand it anymore and closed up the house to put the AC on for poor Matthew. He worked so hard at the recycling center all day because they asked him to come in early this morning.
 My clothesline looks so innocent and idyllic in this picture! The truth is that its hot and the air was full of deer flies landing on me trying to bite. They are a bit smaller than a horsefly, but just as vicious. I hurried in!


4 comments:

Beth in MN said...

Your pineapple block is beautiful. I am envious of the clotheslines. Since we moved, I no longer have any and I miss them.

Maureen said...

I love pineapple quilts and your block turned out great! Worth the extra time they take. Do you think you'd make a pineapple quilt for yourself?

Nann said...

I just caught up on your July posts. It's been a busy, and productive, month! I printed the photo of your pink/brown stars/pinwheels. The pattern would be good in Christmas colors, I think, and I need to get working on this year's holiday raffle quilts. Thanks for the inspiration!

P.S. How nice that you and Grace had a day together!

cityquilter grace said...

looks great victoria! you are a fast learner i'd say....LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...