Saturday, August 10, 2013

Gilmanton Old Home Day 2013

Gilmanton Old Home Day has been a town tradition since the celebration of Civil War soldiers that were returning home after the war. The day was perfect weather as a Canadian High air mass swept out all the dead muggy air and replaced it with bright sun, dry air, and crisp breezes. It felt good to just be alive!



My table space as a quilt vendor was on the grass and in the shade of a huge ash tree. I worked on my hand hemming of the binding on "Tumble Inn", my twin sized tumblers quilt, in between helping customers.


 Felix sat with me, sometimes reading his book, or chatting with fellow Gilmantonians. It was super to have quality time with him.


To sell, I had brought two large bed quilts, a generous throw, and two lap sized quilts. Although none of them sold, they were very well received by the crowds of people who admired them, which pleased me no end.






We were right across the lawn from the live band that was playing lively bluegrass music.




The crowd was often clapping along in time to the beat.






Because I was minding my sales table, I did not get any pictures this year of the lifting of the huge antique bean pots out of the earthen dug beanholes. But here are some shots of it from previous years.



This, above, is the pot before it has been lifted out of the beanhole oven.


And here you see that it takes six very strong men to lift one pot out and carry it to the serving area.

It takes three full days to bake the beans with salt pork and maple syrup, but they are worth the wait!



After lunch was served, there was an antique car parade.


And all the children were invited to play in a tug-of-war game, just for fun!


 As for my sales, I did sell a few catnip mice and ten of my potholders, so I did clear $36 after paying up my booth space and that made me feel very happy!


 It was a very enjoyable day all around!

Happy sewing!



5 comments:

Janet O. said...

Well, I'm sorry you didn't sell more, but at least you came out ahead. Looks like a great local celebration. What a fun way to cook the beans! Glad the weather cooperated--and I love bluegrass music!

cityquilter grace said...

wow, you did well for new england....you made back your table cost and a bit more. nice photos....my mom would have loved a bean hole bean meal...

Sara said...

Hi Vicki,

Had I known about this I just might have driven over. Sorry I am so behind in reading blogs ... but recovering again from a Memorial day weekend heart attack...second one in a year

Elaine Adair said...

Goodness, poor Sara (above) - Hope she feels better soon!!! - good reason to not appear at this lovely, event!

Vic - how quiet and gentle and friendly it all looks. And, I am looking at your 4-patch and Pinwheels I'm sure I've commented previously, but it looks like several I've made before! LOLOL That was a fun quilt! thanks for small-town memories and gentle reminders. Beans look and almost smell wonderful!!!

Helen in the UK said...

Looks like you had a super day, even though you didn't sell a lot of your wares :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...