Saturday, August 3, 2013

The Last Of The Cheddar Exhibit

This post is the final installment of my three part review of The New England Quilt Museum's            current exhibition of turn of the 20th century Pennsylvania quilts that featured "cheddar." The museum is located in Lowell, Massachusetts, (link is here).

Almost all of the quilts featured were very large bed quilts, but there was one small quilt in the tumbling blocks pattern.


The colors on this are not true, but at least you have an image of the quilt.


Remember, you can click on any photo to enlarge it.


In the above photograph, there are two pieces of a large-scale floral that had a very soft dusty blue background. I've seen modern manufacturers call this aqua, maybe Moda? Not sure of that, please do let me know if you can enlighten me.


The cheddar diamond is right beside the little cheater corner triangles that allow the design to become rectangular. And check out that beautiful hand quilting in the borders, too!


The greens in this were solid and very dark!


Next is an unusual Double Irish Chain. Who would've thought to use cheddar in this way?


I hope you can make out the fancy wreaths of quilting inside the cheddar alternate blocks!


Next is a Log Cabin that was machine pieced! Remember, the first Singer Featherweights were made in 1851, and there were other brands, too, so sewing machines were available if you could afford one.





Check out the slanted border! Cool, huh?



Here is a close up to see some of the fabrics.


The chimneys were all done in a white ticking with a fine blue stripe, and in the quilt, they are turned every which way.


Lastly I want to show you the best "story behind the quilt", which was represented by a humble-looking Rail Fence.



As this legend relates, nice women did not speak out on political subjects.


But this quilt has one single piece of cheddar, smack dab in the middle of the quilt, and it looks like it is glowing, it is so bright! It has a bright red plaid on either side of it.


It stood for the "Gold Standard", a platform of the 1896 Presidential candidate William McKinley! This gal was a political activist in her day in her own way!

Before I close, I want to share one more quilt from the New England Quilt Museum's permanent collection because it was so beautiful.





Again, I apologize for the dim lighting that makes all indigos look black to the camera. 


The reds were very subdued, as was the creamy tan. Notice the cut-away shape for a four poster bed.



And I owe a huge debt of gratitude to my very dear friend, Grace, who did all the driving and  planning for this wonderful trip.


Grace and I both enjoyed the gift shop, filled with quilty delights!


If you have a chance to visit this museum, I hope you will enjoy it as much as we did!



Raven said that it is her turn to be on my blog and NOT those annoying kitties!

Stay calm and quilt on!























4 comments:

Janet O. said...

Thanks for sharing the museum display, Vic. I have enjoyed every installment. I really love that log cabin quilt!

cityquilter grace said...

terrific..no butt shot! great travelogue and i love, love, love raven's quilt...that orange border is soooo gorgeous!

Helen in the UK said...

Thanks for sharing all those wonderful exhibition shots. I see Raven is enjoying an quilt with what looks like a cheddar border ... very appropriate :)

Kats Studio said...

Thanks Vic, loved the photos. I can see the enjoyment on your faces.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...