Friday, July 11, 2014

Quilting The Milky Way

Yesterday was a fabulous summer day with clean dry air and bright sun! I have been energized lately and I got the last pieced borders put onto my Milky Way scrap quilt.

It is from last summer's Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting (Oops, it is from the May/June 2012 issue!)Free pattern here. I bought their magazine for the pattern, but now I think it is a free pattern here.
I went to Ellen Peters' studio to quilt it on her big 24" Fusion Handi Quilter. Here's Ellen just finishing loading the top onto the machine and basting across the upper edge to start.


The quilt is only 64 by 80 so I was done with the loose spirals in about an hour and a half. It must've been, "wear-your-green-shirt-day!"


Whee! Off the machine it comes!


It sure was a blessing to have a cool day to quilt it.


This morning I trimmed off all the excess batting and backing and measured it at 64 X 80.


The backing was pieced from an internet Ebay find several months ago that was just perfect!


 Here it is all trimmed up and ready for its binding.



On Tuesday, at The Sunshine Club, Sue and I worked on our respective jelly roll quilts. Hers is a rainbow of bright solids.


As for me, I joined up 84 charms of Nancy Gere's Shenandoah Valley by Windham into 24 large four patches.


Love those exquisite details in the Civil War fabrics. My plan is to join these around the edge of my 1600 inches top from last week.


Wherever you are, I hope you can beat the heat and have some fun quilting!

Happy quilting!





7 comments:

swooze said...

Lovely. How is Raven?

Janet O. said...

Your F&P quilt is great, Vic!
I don't know that I have ever seen a 4-patch border around a jelly roll 1600 quilt. Can't wait to see that!

Kate said...

LOVE your Milky Way quilt, Vic, and you're right, you DID find the perfect backing! How's Raven doing these days?

cityquilter grace said...

gorgeous quilt vic....is this one going to keepsake? went to marden's today....4.25 yards of damage....and that was with restraint....LOL

Kay said...

Love your Milky Way quilt! It's beautiful! I was wondering about Raven also.

Nana Bluebird aka Kathy Aho said...

Love your quilt and those colors ARE great together. Happy quilting! Kathy Aho in MN

Nann said...

Vic, it turned out so well! You are getting quite accomplished on that longarm machine, too. Does this Milky Way have a destination?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...