Tuesday, October 29, 2013

The Last Tuesday Of The Month

The last Tuesday of the month is becoming a special day for me as it is the meeting of The Farmer's Wife sewing group. A few of us have bought the book and are promised to do hand sewing only with templates and scissors. It's quite a change of pace for me!

Laurie Aaron Hird's book, "The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt."
Instead of being alone sewing pieces on my machine, I'm in a nice group of gals chatting and hand sewing around the table of Camille Arnone's Evergreen Country Primitives Quilt Shop in Milton, New Hampshire. We are sworn to go at our own pace and not feel pressured by any deadlines.






I've been working on the Basket Weave block and finished its last seam today. Then I realized that I hadn't paid close enough attention to the placement of the four units. I assembled it wrong. But I like mine and it's going into the quilt!!!!

My "differently assembled" block is on the left.
I started a second one of the same pattern, the basket weave, and got one half of it done. This time, I'm being more careful with the placement of the pieces.



As I worked on the careful process of marking the wrong side of my cut fabric pieces with a graphite mechanical pencil, Camille very nicely offered to let me use a "sandboard." I had never heard of these but it was quite a help to me!


So I decided to buy one to take home with me to accomplish maybe a little more in the upcoming month than I did this time.
With my guild discount, Camille charged me less than $15 and I was honestly able to tell Felix that I had been in a fabric store all morning and had NOT bought any fabric!! Yikes, that's a first for me, LOL!


The black side is the wonderfully gripping fine sandpaper and the flip side is white laminate for drawing or tracing. It is made by Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins from Piece O' Cake Designs.

I like the 11"x 14 5/8" size, but I do wonder why they made it such a funny length. Why not 11"x14"? Go figure. Anyway, it's a great new toy!

This is the end of the quilty part of this blog entry and I have something else to report that is NOT for the squeamish or those that are easily offended. So you are forewarned.



```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````



Two nights ago, something very disturbing appeared on my lawn and it was only 9 feet away from the nose of my car where I park every night.
It was a big pile of crap, literally. I took this photo with our two safety cones on either side of it so that you can see just how close it was to the house.


Felix inspected this and especially due to all the yellow millet birdseed and all the black oil sunflower seeds, and the size and shape of the stool, he believes firmly that we were visited upon by a large black bear.


It is more than a little un-nerving to have this bear sign so close to us!

We will continue to stay alert and only allow the dogs to run in the fenced dogyard. City folks need to watch out for muggers; country folks need to watch out for bears.

Stay calm and quilt on!


7 comments:

Feathers in my Nest said...

Love the shirt you're wearing!! 'm still working on my FW blocks too. Yes, Vic do be careful out there at night. Carry a flashlight if you're walking to the car. Boy, you do lead a very social life! Good for you.

Nann said...

Didn't the dogs hear the bear? Be sure to keep any dog or cat food inside the house!

Stacey said...

This is too funny. What a load of cr@p.

Happy quilting.

Janet O. said...

I like your version of basket weave best. I think I left mine out of my finished quilt because I didn't like the look laid out their way. : )
That looks like a handy little tool to have--I'm guessing the sandpaper really grabs the fabric.
Oh my goodness. That is a little too close to home. Last Spring, I think it was, there were bears in a tree in my daughter's neighbor's backyard, but not that close to the house. Hey, aren't you and Felix the animal control officers? What do you do about reports of bears? : )

Helen in the UK said...

I think I like your version of the block better!
After reading your warning, I didn't know what I was going to find further down this blog post! I hope that bear has made his point and will move on. Beautiful to look at on a nature documentary, not to have visit your front yard :)

cityquilter grace said...

maybe that is how your kitties disappeared? and guess what! jo morton's amelia is in the store here....wahoooo!

Elaine Adair said...

A bear???? OMGOsh, you really ARE out in the boonies????

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...