Sunday, August 7, 2016

A Special Birthday

Okay, I've been holding out on you. I started a new project instead of working on old UFO's. This is Bonnie Hunter's Starstruck from the free pattern on her blog. Thank you, Bonnie! Link.


My version will be reds, browns, and creams, with a turkey red solid for the flippy corners. I pulled a big bunch of strips to sew together and press.


Here's a better close up of some of my fabrics.


I need 400 quadrants to make 100 blocks that will be set 10 blocks by 10 blocks, so I'm planning all of August to be working on these.


There are two different "flippy corners" on each quadrant. One will be a turkey red solid from Bella Red by Moda, and the other will be a bright white on cream leaf print from my stash.


Although I have a very long way to go because I'm doing all of the "Bonus Triangles" as you can see above, I could not resist putting four quadrants into position for a sneak peek at how they are gonna look! So cool!


The bases are stacked up ready to add the flippy corners as I progress.


They are fairly mindless sewing which I enjoy.


They take time and I am just loving the process and petting my fabrics as I go.


Of the 400 needed, I now have about 50 done.


Husband Wonderful, the math whiz in the family, has proudly exclaimed that 50 done of 400 means one eighth of the way along, or 12.5%!


Yipppeee!!! More on that project as it develops.

Today is my special friend and neighbor, Ilse's birthday! She is 84 years young. Perhaps you can just barely make out the circle necklace around her neck that is a 1921 Morgan silver dollar on a chain? That was my Happy Birthday gift to her so that she'll never be broke!


Ilse takes almost total hospice care of her 90 year old husband, Alfred, right at home. One of her other birthday presents that we gave to her (earlier this year) was a nice bunch of new baby chicks. Now they have grown up enough to roam in the pen with the adult chickens and not get picked on by them.


Below are the adults.


Lastly, here is a photo of Husband Wonderful's first harvest of Early Girl tomatoes.

If you count all the garden supplies it took to nurture and grow these, I figure that this plate of twelve small tomatoes only cost us about $200. What a savings! That's only $16 per tiny tomato. But the satisfaction? Priceless!


Linking up to Em's Scrapbag. Link.
Also linking to Love Laugh Quilt. Link.




Happy Sewing!





10 comments:

gayle said...

Your new quilt will be fabulous - I love reds and browns together!
And those tomatoes will be worth every penny. The taste of tomatoes from your own garden is the very definition of summer.

cityquilter grace said...

a bargain on tomatoes! i paid 1.80 for one at the farmer's market...lol...worth every penny! nice looking project there vic...cannot lose with a bonnie pattern and your gorgeous fabrics

Judy in Missouri said...

I'm being so tempted by the Starstruck frenzy on Stashbuster, but have too many projects started to be comfortable. I think I will just watch your progress and try to be content. Loving your colors.

Nann said...

I will cheer from the sidelines for the Starstruck gang. Your tomato crop is bigger than ours!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

What a special gift to a special friend. Your tomatoes are beautiful! I look forward to watching the progress on the Starstruck project. You are so speedy, I hope I don't miss it!

Janet O. said...

Wonderful new quilt creation. Love that color scheme!
What a clever b'day gift for your friend!
Isn't that true about the cost of garden produce? And I just paid a neighbor girl $50 to keep our garden watered while we vacationed. That ups my "per tomato" price. : )

Cathy said...

Lots of goodness in one post! You gave your friend the very same necklace my husband gave me for my birthday. Star Struck is striking so far in your usual color choices. And I'm not sure what you spent your money on to raise such expensive tomatoes but they sure look yummy. I'm having some of mine on a BLT tonight.

Kate said...

Love the fabrics you are using in Starstruck. It's going to be a beautiful quilt. Those tomatoes look great!

Bonnie said...

Starstruck is coming along nicely. Unfortunately, I'm passing on this right now. With the number of UFO's I have it would be better if I finished something rather than start something! HA, like that is happening these days. I'm looking forward to the chatting on Quiltville chat group. Great idea to start this up.

em's scrapbag said...

Bonnie has some great free patterns. Your fabrics are rich and will make a great quilt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...