Thursday, August 25, 2016

Quilting News!

Although it has been too hot to drive all the way to Concord, New Hampshire for the Friday Club, I did make it over to my Tuesday sewing group, The Sunshine Club. Below is Sue, working on ironing pairs of "Hip Clips" that her granddaughter sells.


Hip Clips are a fashion accessory for your short sleeve tee shirts and have magnets to hold them in place on your sleeve.


They can be added straight, as above, or gathered, as below.


With Sue's wonderful help stitching the rows, Mary got her project of a checkerboard completed. Nice work, Sue! Here's Mary showing it.


Mary also made some really bright colored stuffed animals, kitties and dogs. She wants to give some to her grandchildren and perhaps sell a few at a local crafter's consignment shop, too.


Bev was stitching the handquilting on her big UFO project in teals and burgundies.


Marjorie joined a little late but we were glad that she came!


Yesterday, I received a phone call from Keepsake Quilting's retail store manager, Deb Comeau, informing me that I had placed third prize in their Quiltfest. Yippee!! Thank you to everyone who took the time to go to either Facebook or their blog to vote for me. I so appreciate it!


Also, yesterday, amid phone calls for an elderly lost dog that was found and eventually returned to her grateful owner, I did some quilting!

Below is Ellen, loading my "Nurture" quilt onto her big longarm for me to quilt.


For this quilt, I wanted very simple quilting to let the pretty fabrics shine, so I did plain old garden variety loop-de-loops.


The variegated tan/pink thread that Ellen found was just perfect for these florals by Howard Marcus' Collection For A Cause line called "Nurture" by Moda.


For the life of me, I cannot do an even meander or stippling quilting pattern on the quilting. But give me a song and a loop-de-loop and I'm all set for fun quilting!


This quilt took me about an hour and a half and used two bobbins but, due to the dog call, I was there during the warm part of the day. As I quilted, you can see "Corky" was passed out from the heat underneath the big quilting machine.


Soon the quilt was done! We only goofed up one thing. The rectangular piece of batting got loaded sideways. Yikes, we almost ran out of batting at the end! Fortunately, my generous cutting policies paid off and we made it. Just barely, but okay!


Now I'm wondering what I'll use for binding on this quilt. I need to shop my stash, whoohoo!

Miss Emma Lynne, my lovely lady Labrador Retriever, was outdoors enjoying a stroll in the sunshine with Miss Tanner, one of my outdoor-only kitties.


When we had rescued Miss Emma Lynne, the shelter had given us dire warnings about how she was not compatible with cats. Hmmmm.
As soon as I firmly leash-trained Miss Emma Lynne that chasing the kitties was not tolerated, they all became dear friends.


I wish that people could be leash-trained to be more tolerant, too.

Linking up to Fabric Frenzy Fridays. Link.
And to Finished or Not Fridays. Link.
And to Can I Get A Whoop Whoop? Link.
And to Oh, Scrap! Link.

Happy sewing!






16 comments:

Jean Etheridge said...

Yeah! Third place is exciting!

cityquilter grace said...

well deserved vic....enjoy!

Wendy Caton Reed said...

Woohoo! I'm not surprised that you won, just happy for you! Can't wait to see what you buy with it!

Janet O. said...

Oh, congrats on your third place win, Vic. I was delighted when I read that!
Have you seen Grace's prediction on her blog as to what she thinks you will be doing with the winnings? : )
You know, stippling is not really a simple thing to quilt. I don't know why some people think it is a good place for beginners to start. Your Loop-de-loops will be a great way to frost this quilt!

gayle said...

Woohoo for your prize-winning! So well-deserved!
"Nurture" is a lot bigger than I thought it was. I think I had mini-charms in my brain, rather than regular charm squares...

Nann said...

Congratulations, Vic! It's a lovely quilt indeed.
Your loop-de-loops look great. (Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever done those on a quilt. Right now I'm making "meandering crescents," more or less. Maybe I'll go loopy for the next project.)

Samplings from Spring Creek said...

Congratulations on your win! Your quilt is beautiful. Yes for leash training!!!!

Nancy said...

Congratulations on your win, Vic. It is a beautiful quilt!
--Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

Auntie Em said...

Congratulations on your Keepsake win!

Cathy said...

Congrats to you! How exciting is that! And it is well deserved. Now how will you top that????

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Congratulations in your win! I like the look of your loop-de-loop quilting. So nice to have a long arm available to use!

travelinsewl said...

Nice job on both quilts!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Your quilt is lovely. Congrats to you! It was good that you cut your batting big - that could have been a big nightmare to fix. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

Myra @ Busy Hands Quilts said...

It's such a pretty quilt! Thanks for linking to Finished or Not Friday!

Linda Smith said...

Can I guess that any winnings will go back into quilting supplies? Ha ha! It's as bad as the racetrack! Beautiful quilt. And can we get that leash training for humans thing on the ballot? I'd vote for it!

Feathers in my Nest said...

Congratulations Dear Vic...Great accomplishment. You are one busy woman I must say, in a very good way. We all should gather together & sew. The Ladies back in the day knew something.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...